How to make him eat?

My 21 mo son is refusing solids - He does not want to be spoonfed anymore and is not fingerfeeding himself neither. For longer time he is mainly on fluids + occasionally some crunches. All say toddlers go thru stages but I am so very much concerned about his vitamins intake. He is loosing weight and the drops prescribed to him make him having diarrhea (side effect), it lowers his appetite ... etc. He has been sat to the table on empty stomach with no fluids offered but variety of tastes and textures. Hopeless, he does not even attempt to try. I even considered signing him to preschool for him to adopt behavior from peers but am not sure will it help. He spills out with his tongue anything I manage give him - pures, solids etc. Please help.

kujus04

Asked by kujus04 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would call the DR. It is true that kids will not starve themselves and that will eat differently than we do. If he is losing weight and not eating then you need to call the doctor. There is only so much you can force and do before you need outside help.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sounds like you need to call your pediatrician. Today.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• what about giving him his own seat at the dinner table? Is he eating what mom and dad are or are you giving him something else. It might help if he feels apart of the family.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Make an appointment and make sure to tell the doctor the drops make him sick.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2010