Why do men feel like taking care of children isn't a hard job compared to what they do?

jennmarie82

Asked by jennmarie82 at 7:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• i have no idea.but i know alot of men who think that way,
    Gods_Girl1979

Answer by Gods_Girl1979 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I am not sure what you mean. I have been a SAHM for 9 years and my husband would not trade places with me. He knows how hard it is and he would not want to be home with the kids all day. He helps out and is a great father and he truly appreciates all that I do. Just I as am so grateful that he has a job that allows me to stay home. I guess we both win.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I am with cornflakegirl. My husband would be very upset if something happened where I had to work and him stay home
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It could be that the men who think that way haven't spent very much time caring for their children. My husband does understand what goes into caring for and raising the kids because he does spend time alone with them on a regular basis. The only way a person could possibly think raising children is "easy" is if they've never done it.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I can relate. I've been a SAHM for 8yrs and my husband seems to think it's a piece of cake for me. He hardly ever helps out. And his attitude has changed drastically towards me. He seems bitter but he's also working 2nd shift and missing out on his son growing up.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 8:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Because they have never done it!

Answer by older at 9:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My husband feels that his job is harder because it requires a lot of physical labor. Also, he feels that in order for something to qualify as a "job" you have to hate/dread going to work. I think they're just scared to admit that caring for children is harder therefore lowering the importance of their wage earning jobs.
    mel644

Answer by mel644 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't know. Luckily, my DH doesn't think that way. If they occasionally have to do it all by themselves for most of a day, they realize that it's not easy if they didn't know it already. 

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My husband is a SAHD now and he loves it said life for him is so much easier. He was the CEO of his company and worked 90 hours a week and was always tired. He doesn't get up at 4 am anymore gets up at 7 with our son they have a great time everyday. He keeps our 5000sqft home spotless and home schools our son when I get home he is so much more relaxed than when he was working. I think staying home is as hard as you make it. My husband doesn't consider it work he considers is a privledge might be why he enjoys it so much and doesn't feel like a martyr like so many moms do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My dh and I both are working parents. We both take our son and our house. For example, I have a grad class tonight. When I get home, dinner will be made b/c my dh will cook dinner for him, our son, and for me to eat when I get home. I stayed home for awhile (never want to do that again) and I did not find it that hard. I guess though we both are not martyers.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2010