because I am the Mom...

When your kids as why, is because I am the Mom and I said so a good enough reason?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 7:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sometimes although not always!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Also depends on their ages. Little ones need to learn to obey because 'you are the mom', as they get older and we begin to let them make their own decisions we need to help them understand how and why we choose the way we do. That's the learning process!
    And of course there are those times when we can't explain it and it's just that 'mom intuition' at work and then we say ...."Because I'm the mom" !!!!!!
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Of course there are times when that really is all the reason they need. You are the parent, you make the rules. It can be that simple. And reasoning with children when they are being unreasonable or attempting to reason with children before they have developed reasoning skills is unnecessary and counterproductive.
    But there are definitely times when an explanation is appropriate, when it is good to tell the kids why you've made the decision you've made (not to change it, but to explain it) so that they can begin to learn the role of logic in decision making. We want out children to learn how to make good decisions, so we help them to learn how!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sometimes, not all. Really depends on irritated I am that day. Lol
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Here's what I've told my boys: I will share with you my reasons, if the time and place are appropriate. I share that information with you so that you can learn that my rules are thought through and you can see that I don't restrict your freedom just to make you unhappy. Although you are not required to agree with my reasons, you are required to obey.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sometimes... it depends. The one time I trot this one out is when I am really not giving them an option. For instance, my eight year old is scared of needles but must get the flu shot because his little sister has asthma and ends up on inhalers for a month every time anyone brings a cold into the house. When he rants and raves about how he doesn't want a shot, my answer is basically "I hear what you are saying. But I am the mom and I have the responsibility to make medical decisions for you. The age of consent for medical procedures in our province is sixteen. When you are sixteen you can make your own choice. But until then I am the mom and I am making this decision for you."
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would probably add a little more to the explanation. I would say, "because I am the mom and I have lived longer than you and so I have more experience in these matters. And since you are my child, you are to honor and respect my decisions." If the children are very young, you may want to modify the language.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sometimes it is the only answer they get, but usually that's after I've just had enough of the whining and asking why.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You stinkin' bet it is!!
    EMLMomma

Answer by EMLMomma at 8:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• In my book it is. I'm the adult, they're the kids and they don't need to know the reason for every decision I make. Half the time they wouldn't even understand the reasoning behind the decision so it's a moot point.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2010