Need advice..8 month old won't sleep through night anymore!

So I still nurse my daughter and it was a struggle to get her to sleep through the night and not wake up to nurse, well a little over a month ago she would wake up an regular basis(was not teething) and so I could get a little sleep I brought her in my bed. She still would wake up but she would fuss a little and go back to sleep. And my mother in law said try to give her a little bottle of water..So I did. It worked she would go right back to sleep. Then she started waking up at the same time and wouldn't go back w out the bottle or nursing! Also she stands on crib now and will not go back to sleep on her own in the middle of the night she will cry for hours..Now I am putting her in pack in play next to my bed and I started nursing her in the middle of the night just so she will sleep.(and then she does) I am exhausted and all the work I put into her sleeping through the night when she was little seems to be erased..I feel like I have a newborn again! Help! Any advice??

Kelly2573

Asked by Kelly2573 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get a motion sensor crib toy that plays songs. maybe if she wakes up and sees/hears it she will be distracted and fall back asleep. The pacifier worked for my dd but if she doesnt have one now then its best not to start the habit. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Your positive she isn't teething? You may not be able to tell right now but she could have a tooth/some teeth preparing to come through and it may be bugging her. If it's not teething, then I guess the only thing I can really think of is she misses the co sleeping and just feels better when she's with you. I know it's so exciting when you first establish a routine with them and then they switch it up on you again and your just like AHHH! Hopefully it won't last long. I'm wondering if she just finds comfort with being on the breast? Does she take a paci? I know some people don't like them but was just asking.. when I weaned my son I had to start using one and it did the trick.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• ok hey you ever seen the little lady bug back massagers they are a little bigger than a fist , but they have a good vibration on them you can pick up similar if not the same in about any drug store. when baby begins to wake i would reach in and cut it on the sound and the slight movement of the crib would lull mine back pretty quickly, i only used it at night never nap time but she slept through the night both of mine did, It was an amazing discovery fo rme and i hope that it will help for you ...... keep in touch let me know if you try it if it worls for you sweetie,have a great day , and love your babies.....
    tenkerbail

Answer by tenkerbail at 9:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• um, have you considered that its possible she has hit a growth spurt and is really hungry during the night. Which is why she would nurse and go back to sleep? All you can do is feed her and go back to sleep. This will pass.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would try to keep things consistant for her. Keep her in the same bed (where ever is best or you and her). This is probably just a phase. I like the idea of a little noise maker or fan. Does she have a little blankie? Try giving her one to help her self soothe. Just some ideas, good luck.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 9:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• thanks ladies! Yes she does have paci and she will not take it for like 15 mins. she just screams but she will nurse so I figured that is what she wanted. I am pretty sure she is not teething but cannot be positive. I thought about the growth spurt thats why I just gave up and nursed her.I will try anything so will go out and check those gadgets out you ladies recommended. she is very much a Mommas girl and will cry until I hold her..I am sure some people would say I spoil her as in hold her too much..Maybe thats it I don't know. Thanks for the support and telling me it will pass that always helps too..
    Kelly2573

Comment by Kelly2573 (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• All four of my kids went through stages of not sleeping through the night again until they were 2 or 3. It is perfectly normal!! I know that isn't what you want to hear. :( My one year old has been up about 3 times at night for the last 2 months. Part of it was because he was sick and needed to nurse, but now I have to start working on getting him to sleep again without nursing. Some nights it is not worth the battle and he currently ends up asleep/nursing in our bed.

Hang in there!! He will sleep through the night again and then start waking up again. Those moments of wakefulness will get few and farther between, but it will end one day down the road!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oops!!! SHE (sorry)
    micheledo

• i read everytime a baby learns something new like standing they get distracted and the sleep pattern may change. i would not go back to nursing in the night time becuase that is just regressing but that is up to you. if it helps. also a growth spurt. yes my 20month old still has her moments that she gets up in the middle of the night. i think children in general are unpredictable. just try the water for a little bit. and put her back down. i never gave her food or bottle in the middle of the night after she stop doing it for awhile. i just bring her to my bed and let her go back to sleep. she sleeps well in her crib and in the bed. maybe try that. we sing and she knows its nite nite time .good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yea, infants hardly ever keep sleep patterns through the first year. It's very normal. Just go with it... continue co-sleeping and nursing her when she needs it and she'll outgrow it with time. 8 months is big for separation anxiety and that can definitely effect sleep. Best thing to do for that is to give her all the attention she needs so that she develops security and begins to trust that you will be there.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2010