how can i get my 1 yr old son to take a sippy cup?

tcchick2006

Asked by tcchick2006 at 8:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I started my 10-month old with a sippy cup by just getting him to have it in front of him at mealtimes and during floor play. Most of the time in teh beginning, he would just move it around or look at it. Once in a while, I would hold it for him so he could see that there was water inside, but as soon as he started sucking I would take it away and put his hands on it so he got the idea that he has to hold it. Just this week, he started picking it up and drinking out of it - it was really exciting for me! He is still not a pro by any means, but my goal is to have him using it more regularly by his first birthday.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would actually suggest to not even bother with sippies because I know how much of a pain it is to get it off of them if they become attached. If you do however I would suggest also teaching him to drink out of an open cup too. I understand sippies are a lot cleaner than an open cup but my daughter didn't even like them so I just went with a cup instead of insisting on it.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 8:56 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Introduce the cup to him with a little bit of water or juice inside, usually the two handled cups are the easiest for the younger motor skills to manipulate. Show him how to use it and allow him to explore how it works, this will take some time but once he has mastered the 2 handled cups, you can switch. Just DONT get the soft top sippy cups, they RUIN teeth!
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 9:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Have you tried using a regular straw? Take and Toss makes great cups with a straw and lid. They don't have a spill valve, but they are great. My oldest had a sippy cup and I hated it. With my youngest, I skipped it and went straight from boob to straw to a regular cup. It made life so much easier and his teeth are so straight compared to his brother's teeth.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010