thank you card for thanksgiving?

My husbands grandmother just sent me an email with the address of the family we all had thanks giving with "just in case" i want to wright a thank you card. but i have never done this i said thank you at the party why do i wright a letter also? would you wright one or is a thank you enough?

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• Miss Manners says that if you thank people at the event, a card is not necessary.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• was it at an actual family members house? or someone outside the family who hosted the dinner ? in my family you dont send thank yous concerning a holiday gathering to a family member. but if a non family member hosted the event then yes i would. in this case your hubby's grandmother seems to be pushing that this is considered proper ettiquette in her eyes. I dont think writing a thank you would be too much to do just to please her a bit eh?
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 9:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Not necessary!

Answer by older at 9:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have never done this or gotten a card for hosting a holiday dinner. My parents did send us a thank you card after staying with us for a week at Thanksgiving a few years ago, but it wasn't just for the dinner it was for hosting them. My mother in law on the other hand, not only never says thank you, she gets bent out of shape it we don't cancel all of our plans to accommodate her unexpected visits.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• A thank you card is not necessary.

You might, however, want to add this person to your Christmas/holiday card list, and inside your card to her/them, just say how much you enjoyed sharing Thanksgiving with them.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Was the dinner not at a relative's house? If not, that's probably why your grandmother thinks you should right one. After all, they went out of their way to host your family in addition to their own.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010