3rd Appointment???

I am a first time mommy and I am wondering, I have my 3rd doc. appt. tomorrow & I wanna know if you know what they usually do at this appt.? My doctor never really tells me what to expect for the nxt visit. They did mention I will have the option to do genetic testing. (No, thanks)- Still I am 16 weeks, 3 days... isn't time to find out the sex?

BRITTN3Y

Asked by BRITTN3Y at 9:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Routine, get used to them. You will pee in a cup each time, get weighed, measured etc. Listen for heart beat. Usually around 20 wks is time for ultra sound and sex of baby.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• They usually try to schedule the ultrasound for 18 to 20 wks because that is the best time to be able to see the sex. But, you do realize that's not the reason for the ultrasound. They do it to check the size of the baby & see if every thing else looks ok. It just so happens they can see the sex usually. Next appointment why dont you ask your doctor what you just asked us?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Before you go - make sure your insurance covers the genetic testing - some times it costs several thousand dollars.

If they do an ultra sound - sometimes it is possible to find the sex of the baby. Otherwise, it is just a weight check, measurement check, blood pressure check etc.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• With all the technology now you would think they would be able to tell the sex at the time of conception. LOL. You never can tell. The first time they tried to tell me about my second child, he kept his legs shut. It wasn't until my 2nd sonogram that they knew it was a boy. Be patient and enjoy being pg. I loved it both times. Best of luck to you and congrats!
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 9:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think it's just a routine app. They will test your urine for proteins and take your blood pressure. Can't remember if they take your blood yet. They won't do an ultrasound without telling you ahead of time and it's usually a seperate appointment, at least mine was.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• you will usually find out around 20 weeks and they will tell you that before at least they should. they usually tell you so you can bring the dad and your mom if you want or his mom. etc... I think he will just check the heart beat and measure your belly
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 9:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I had my ultrasound at 16 weeks but it was my 1st appointment.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 9:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Your doctor didn't tell you anything because every appointment is pretty much the same. You go in, they test your urine, weigh you, take your blood pressure and listen for a heartbeat. That's it. It's boring and nearly pointless in my book. They usually do an ultrasound at 20 weeks.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010