Anyone else have chefs-in-the-making?

My 5-year-old stepson loves helping me bake. He helped me with chocolate chip cookies. He gets to pour the measured ingredients in the bowl, set the oven temp, he cracked an egg perfectly! (another had a couple of shell pieces, but not too bad), and used the blender (with me right there of course) for the first time. (They were pretty good cookies, too!)

Anyone else have their kids help them bake?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 7 year old Grandson likes to help in the kitchen whenever possible. I started out by measuring ingredients and letting him add them to a recipe or what ever I was cooking. We have looked at measuring sugar for iced tea and hes us able now to use a 1/2 cup measure to put in the correct amount of sugar in iced tea if I use the regular picture. Next comes measuring on his own.

seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 7:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• it's awesome to teach them to cook when they are little.
    Mine started doing the same thing at this age.. he's 12 and a half now.. and can cook a full meal - and LOVES doing it. It's kind of nice on the weekends - he offers to cook dinner for the rest of us. Being a single working mom - he likes to make sure that mom gets some extra "time-off" and it makes him feel GREAT when everyone says how good dinner is.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My 5 year old son loves to help me in the kitchen. He wants to help every night, when I fix supper. My Mom is going to get him his very own kid's cookbook for Christmas.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My son who is 6 loves to cook! It doesn't just give him time with me but it also teaches him Math skills!
    akbogan

Answer by akbogan at 2:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008