How to decorate for christmas with a very small budject??

I have a living room and dinning room that I need to decorate (as child friendly as possiable) for under $50. I am willing to make lots of things and I would love to incorporate my son (10mo) into the decor a bit.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• On the inside - We take our kids to walmart, $3 for a thing of printer paper, $1 crayons, and let them decorate ... sometimes we make chains, sometimes we'll buy tinsel or something, The kids love it.

On the Outside - We usually had a dollar store close and just let the kids each pick out one decoration. Then we would go on craigslist and pick one or two things we all enjoyed that was within our budget.
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 9:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Go homemade and secondhand - it's cheaper, more fun, original and unique, and better for the environment!
    Good luck and hope you have fun!

Here are a few ideas...
    Wrap boxes and use them as decorations; spray paint pinecones or gumballs, paint them with glue, and sprinkle glitter on them; string cranberries and popcorn; bring in greenery like pine, fir, and magnolia; put up cheap Christmas lights with branches of fake berries (or whatever you find at the thrift store) winding through them; hang decorative and cheap holiday plates on the walls.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• How about you get a poster and draw a tree on it and then use his tiny handprints in paint for ornaments on the tree? You could also glue on tinsel, pieces of paper or popcorn.
    Paper chains were so much fun to make as a kid for me and its cheap as well...just buy a stack of construction paper.
    I'm not sure if it would work out but in my head I'm imagining making placemats and a table runner with construction paper...it would either look really really adorable or cheap, lol! I think I might have to try that this year and let my daughter make the placemats!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Do you have dollar stores in your area? Where im at we have a store called dollar tree, where nothing is over $1, i love it.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• What about a paper chain or paper snowflakes that you and your son make together? Also here are some websites with great Christmas crafts for kids...
    http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/christmas/
    http://crafts.kaboose.com/holidays/christmas/christmas-crafts.html
    http://dltk-holidays.com/xmas/index.html
    http://familyfun.go.com/christmas/

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• $50 is a LOT of money for decorating! Invest in a few well-made decorations this year, and add a new one each year. Soon you'll have no expense at all, as you'll own everything you need to decorate.
    A good friend of mine decorated her living room and dining room for $2. It was the Christmas following the death of her husband, there really wasn't any money at all. She purchased a couple of packages of coffee filters and turned on some Christmas shows ... and spent a couple of hours with her son, cutting hundreds of paper snowflakes. Seriously, it was magical to see the snowflakes on the windows, the walls, the doors ... very simple and very beautiful.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I use the same decorations year after year. Do you have any decorations at all? You can always spruce up new decorations to make them look new.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Definitely the paper chains and popcorn! Another is pinecones rolled in glue, then rolled in glitter. You could also string big wooden beads (from Walmart, Michaels, or any other craft store) on yarn. I have a friend who now finds using a Christmas tree too cumbersome. She uses a big glass vase and puts a bunch of lights in it, places it on a side table and voila! Instant decoration!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 2:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• shop at the 99cent store
    smwnlb

Answer by smwnlb at 4:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2010