The great Christmas light debate...

Every year here there is a big hoopla in the local paper about how folks from the other side of the Mason-Dixon line have moved in and are filling "our" neighborhoods with "their" style of Christmas lights. I personally think it's bunk - just something else to get upset about, and to divide us. I thought we'd have a little unscientific study here to see if there's even any truth to the rumors.

So...
1. Are you from the north or south?
2. Do you put up white lights or colorful lights for Christmas?

...let's examine the results and see if there really is a regional difference!
(And let me be clear - even if there is a difference, I don't think anyone should be complaining about it! It's Christmas for Pete's sake, let's just relax and enjoy the lights!) :o)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 9:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• We like to mix it up. The first year we had our tree, it was white with colored lights outside. The next year, colored in and out. This year, I wanted a white tree with colors outside, but my DH found colored lights first, so that is what went on the tree. Ah well, the kiddos like the colored lights better, anyway. ;)
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 2:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• From the North, and white lights (if I even get the time to do it before the holidays come and go)!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I am from the South and have always insisted that my parents put up white lights outside. We only had colorful lights on the tree. Last year was the first time I put up colored lights, they were red and outlined my two front windows and wrapped around 2 palm trees. All other lights were white!
    tara715

Answer by tara715 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Northerner and white lights outside but coloured on the tree
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 9:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm a southern at heart (we live in Oklahoma) and I love my tree with all white lights, but I prefer colorful outdoor lights. One of our favorite things is to go out looking at Christmas lights and to me it's really boring to see a house in all one color, but if that's the look you want I do think white looks better than any other single color. We have plain white lights around the inside of our front window so that it frames our white light tree, but the big outdoor lights are multicolored with white icicle lights hanging down. To me it gives the house a gingerbread effect and I love it.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• south - colorful lights
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• North - only white lights!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• South - white lights.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oh....or blue....I prefer all one color though....all white or all blue. We did all blue at our 1st house because it looked great against the house and the bushes that were in front of that house. We use all white here now. I live in Eastern NC and am a Southerner to the core.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My DH and I are both "Yankee's" and this is an on going thing. I had colored lights on my tree as a kid, so did he. but I had white outdoor lights. He likes colored and worse yet...flashing! I think that is trashy. So, the fight continues lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010