How do I go about starting to get an eleven week and 3 day old on somewhat of a sleep schedule?

She sleeps great at night - well at least I think she does. It's unpredictable, but after she eats she immediately goes back to sleep so I'm good with that. It's during the day that's killing me. She'll wake up anywhere from 7 to 8 am, eats, stays up for about a hour and 20 minutes, goes back to sleep for around 40 minutes...repeat. Yesterday she went down for a 3 and a half hour nap for the first time in probably a week and a half. I paid for it last night though. She didn't want to go to sleep, but I finally got her down by rocking her, she was fine after that. I just feel like I'm going to lose it because I can't seem to get anything done. On top of that when she's awake she won't let me put her down without screaming - I read that around 11 weeks babies get very clingy...does that seem to be the case for any of you?

tara715

Asked by tara715 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To be VERY honest? She's going to go her own way. Make things as conducive as you can to sleep, but there is NOTHING that can make a baby sleep when they don't want to. The fact that she sleeps so much at night has likely condemned you to little sleep during the day. Don't worry about getting things done. Nothing NEEDS to be done unless someone will die if it's not done. Feed the family, feed the pets... let the rest go. It'll wait till she settles into a pattern. And she will. When SHE is ready. What you want means nothing; infants and toddlers are rather self-centered in that respect!

A sling will help if you really do need to get things done. And remember... NEED is defined by likelihood of death if it's not done.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My DD was this way. I ended up getting a baby sling so that I could hold her and still get things done around the house. She never took naps and would cry if I wasn't holding her. Sometimes I could put her in the swing for a little while, although that didn't always work.

This stage should not last forever and you will start to get back to a normal at some point. Don't worry to much.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My daughter never got clingy with me. From the day I brought her home we had a routine. Starting at 6pm was bath time, then me and daddy dressed her, sang to her, read her a story, then played her night time prayers for her. She is still on that schedule now at almost 10 months, she would wake up every two hours on the dot, then eat, get changed, and go back to bed. Until she was a few months, then it was every 4 or 5 hrs, then around 6 months she started sleeping through the night and still does.

The only time she ever had a weird sleeping pattern during the day is when her night time routine was messed up, if she were sick or something.

Hope things get better soon.
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 10:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I had all 5 of my kids on a schedule from birth. Getting their feeding schedule was the first part, and then their sleeps just fell into place (although I never nursed them to sleep)

Answer by missanc at 3:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010