Do you think losing a fish is important?

My four year olds fish died yesterday. He was upset last night and cried for about an hour. I warned his teacher today and she said oh well he could always get another fish. I understand he cann get another fish but we are moving in three weeks and his fish was the one living thing he could take.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 9:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Every pet in important especially to a young child. I would take him to a pet shop and let him pick another new fish. It might not be the same but it might make him feel better.
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 3:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• He was obviously attached to that fish and that should not be taken lightly. Kids develop attachments to all sorts of things, blankets, favorite toys, pacifiers and cry for days without them, I think he sounds just fine and the teacher should have a little wee bit of understanding in her response to you and him. So sorry for your son's loss. :(
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm sure it's a sad thing for a 4 year old. I hate it when one of our aquarium fish dies--I don't get all emotional about it, but it's still a little sad. I would be very sensitive to your little boy about it and let him know it's okay to be sad--don't act like the teacher did with the "oh well, you can get another one" attitude. Some people don't understand how others get attached to pets. My daughter's preschool teacher was that way--they had a class hamster and I asked her at the end of the year if she was going to take it home and she told me she was going to let it go in the woods--after all, it was "only a hamster". That upset me and I begged her to try to find someone to take it instead (I can't because we have several indoor cats). Anyway, sorry I got off track, but yes, be sweet and understanding to your son. Sorry about his fishie.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I can't answer the quesion "Is losing a fish important." I can only answer "Is losing THIS fish important to THIS person." And even then, really, *I* can't answer it - only that person and maybe his parents can.

It seems clear to me that it was important to your son. I don't think it matters too much what other people think. There are probably books about losing a pet, maybe something for him to read, and maybe even something for you with advice about when and whether to "replace" the pet.

Sorry for your loss. Give him a hug for me.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Every pet is important!

Answer by older at 10:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• For me, no, but for your son, yes. Maybe your son's teacher didn't understand how attached he was to the fish. Our two kids are like polar opposites, our younger daughter would flush the fish and be done, but our older daughter would find a nice little box and have a fish funeral in the backyard. We had a couple of turtles who died a few weeks a part - both were buried in small coffee cans in our back yard. We've also got a baby bird, a squirrel, two beta fish and a toad in our pet cemetery. Each kid handles death in their own way.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• kids are sensitive....especially my 4year old little boy...he freaked one day when he killed a moth that he thought was a butterfly....when it comes to kids you have to be just as sensitive about certain things as they are....that way they know you understand and that you are there for them in this sad time....i know its just a fish and yes of course you can get another one but be sensitive about it for your child.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• This book worked for my neices when my Mom passed last year ... Its a soft way of eplaining death...

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/isbn=9780553344028/search=9780553344028/st=query&mode=about_childrensbooks&
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 10:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If its that important to your son then yes it is important , of course you can always replace the fish but only when your son is ready.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• To your son it was a very important pet, let him grieve for his lost pet fish which you are but the teacher didn't understand how important his fish was to him. Good luck with the move, give your son a few extra hugs.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 10:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010