my baby is almost 8 months old. during feeding times in the high chair he screammmms! he gets his little fists, and he will scream at the TOP of his lungs! he does this whenever he is getting food. (not milk) even at a restaurant. i don't want to reward him for this behavior. (but i'm not going to with hold his food?) what do i do??

i don't want to give him what he wants/reward him.... but i don't want to with hold the food either - bc it's meal time. (he's on a great schedule, has been for a few months) so he knows whats coming. It's like i can't feed him fast enough. he has no patience. and he is not starving bc he has milk about 30 mins before meals....
what do i do??? its crazy loud scream!

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He doesn't need solid food at this age. Keep giving him milk and try solids later on.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I've tried taking the food away - and making him wait. Doesn't seem to help, but this still happends all the time.
    Also he was sleeping through the night for a long time (7:30pm-6:30am) but now he wakes up the middle of the night again. I try to let him work it out... but sometimes he needs a bottle. I don't understand. Growh spurt @ 8 months? (i guess thats unrelated to his poor behavior at meal times....)
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• milk probably does not fill him up. He is 8 months old!!! He needs more then milk. How far r u spacing his meals apart??
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• the doctor said at his last check-up that he should be having 3 meals a day of baby food - breakfast, lunch and dinner....with finger foods as snacks...??
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have actually given my son a bottle or cup while feeding him...I let him drink a little and then I give him a few bites to eat!! If he is hungry he will eat!! I know that you may feel like you are depriving them of food or nutrition but sometimes they just dont want to eat and they will eat when they are ready to...does he do it if you sit him in your lap? The reason I ask is because sometimes my son will sit in his chair for a little while but then it gets really upset and wants me to hold him and if I sit him in my lap he is fine and he eats good?!
    Mrs.Poole1235

Answer by Mrs.Poole1235 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Bradys Feeding and Sleeping Schedule: (he's almost 8 months old)
    6:30-7 - wakeup
    7:30am - 6 oz. milk
    8:30am - jar of fruit + yogurt melts after
    9-11 naptime
    11:00 - 4 oz milk
    12:00 - veggie + puffs after
    1-2:30 - naptime
    3:00 pm - 4 oz. milk with puff after for snack
    6:00 - dinner 1 jar veggie + 1 jar fruit, finger food after if he wants it. (puffs)
    7:00 - bathtime then books
    7:30 - 6oz. milk before bedtime
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• can he pick up stuff by jimself and feed himself finger foods? my ds screams like that until i give him something he can feed himself....i'll feed him in between the bites he takes himself
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• to mrs.poole -
    he wants to eat. he doesn't turn down the food. he wants it faster! :) i make sure its all ready and open before i put him in the chair - but as soon as he sees he's about to get food - he freaks out. SCREAMING!!!!!! high pitched crazy like! not bc he doesn't want it though. its like he wants it NOW.... he eats it all.
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• he tries with the finger foods - thats why i keep giving him them - so he can practice. he doesn't make it to his mouth yet. (sometimes he does...)
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• if he can't pinch it, and put it in his mouth, he is not ready to eat it. he does not need "practice", this skill will develop over time, you know he is ready when he does it- not force him to practice so he CAN.

BTW- unless your Dr is a licensed nutritionist, they can not offer sound advice. They go to medical school to learn about medicine, not food. "Food before one is just for fun".

He is at an age where he should be having fairly regular growth spurts, and also more cognizant of the world around him, including dreams. You can not expect a BABY to sleep through the night at any age, and letting him "work it out" (CRY) is abuse/neglect. He needs comfort, assurance, and love.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2010