How to help a child deal with depression

My DD had a seizure over the summer. It was big, bad and scarey and she was in the hospital for 2 months. Recently she has been doing great, was back at school and we all thought that it was a one time thing. Some sort of virus and that she would not have any more. Well on Thanksgiving she had 2 seizures and was in the hospital for 4 days.

Now she is very sad and wondering why this happened. She doesn't want to go back to school. I don't want to push her yet, although I want to help her.

cornflakegirl3

Asked by cornflakegirl3 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Awwww, what did her peditrician say....

Keep giving her positive words, and lots of hugs. I would be scared too, and there is nothing wrong with being scared... Let her know that sometimes things happen that are not explainable... You must let her know that you are there too talk and speak to the peditricain and make sure you single out everything it could possibly be....

I wish you the best, and remember positive words, positive notes and don't let her be alone too long, she will have too much to think about, try to keep her active and remind her she can't run from her fears, she must face them head on.... :) Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• They have all sorts of books about different stuff like that to help kids understand that they arent alone maybe get her one of those and make sure you are there for her when she needs you
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 12:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Find a good neurologist and that will help a lot. If she needs some one to talk to that would be a super resource. Lots of people can go on to live a perfectly healthy life with seizures. My daughter had one and it was scary for me too. So find a really good Doc. Ask around call the childrens hospital and find a good support group too. Sometimes this is just an office staff or go on line and find one.
    Really the more information you have the easier it will get on both of you. Good luck to both of you
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• THanks for all the advice. We have a great neurologist that we love. Right now we are trying to get her meds stable so she can have as normal a life as possible. She is having a hard time adjusting to the new meds so we are in constant contact with the DR. He is really great about calling us and letting us call him. He is very aware of her condition because she is a different case then most, so I really love him.
    cornflakegirl3

Comment by cornflakegirl3 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Have her talk to a counselor to help her out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010