Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How early can you apply for a Pel Grant?

My hubby NEEDS to go back to school it's the ONLY choice we have right now but he has to get a grant since we have no other way to pay for it since we are on UE, and other PA.
It says spring is the deadline but we don't know when he can actually apply for it. Does he have to wait till January 1 , 11 or could he do it now..for the 11/12 year ?????

Answer Question

Asked by baby1love at 10:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 15 (2,042 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • After you file taxes for the year.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • After you file taxes. And they are fisrt come first serve so the sooner the better.

    Answer by bellsandheels at 10:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • You can file your fafsa January 1. You do not have to wait for taxes though. All you have to do is update the fafsa once you file your taxes. Filing your fafsa Jaunary 1 puts your name in and gives you first options on grants.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Go to and call the 800 number on the website. They are really helpful and will answer all your questions.

    Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • Start the process on - I wouldn't wait until the first of the year.

    Answer by tasches at 1:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • You can file the first of the year. Grants are first come first serve. So if you wait too long you might not get any. You do have to give an estimated income for the previous year and then after you file you'll have to show proof that you made about that amount. You can just use your last pay check stubs for the year to figure out how much you made.

    Good luck!

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • His best bet is to check with the financial aid office at his school. They deal with this sort of thing all the time and they'll know what to do.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

  • file for your fasfa the first of the year after you do your taxes then update it. Its first come first serve so you would want to complete it asap! After you complete the fasfa then it will tell you how much money you are eligible for. The Pell Grant (at least where I live in Cali) gives a max of $5000 for a school year.

    Answer by vjoaquin at 7:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.