Which is worse for houseplants?

The windowsills here are getting really cold now that it started snowing. What's worse for plants - sitting on a cold windowsill or having the shades drawn so they are warmer but they get less light??

I am not sure what to do... these plants are at work so I don't have any options for plant placement other than taking them home where the lighting sucks.

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 10:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• it depends on the plant

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• yeah it depends on the plant. If its seems fine at the window leave it there.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well for most plants, cold kills. You should google or wiki the plants you have to find more information.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 10:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If they were mine, I would keep them away from the cold window and maybe near or under a lamp during the day. It will get some light during the day and that's better then sitting in a cold window. Will someone not let you take them home during the Winter months and bring them back?
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I could take them home but the lights there are aweful in the winter and there isn't much more space. I am thinking about trying to put towels on the window sill to buffer the cold.
    .science.mom.

Comment by .science.mom. (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010