Not always, but....

But sometimes it seems like no one reads pregnancy books anymore or baby 1st year books! Most answers are right there, and in better non-judgemental form, sometimes from an actual doctor. Do you feel that people have given up on reading these books?

I read what to expect when I'm expecting, what to eat when you're expecting, what to expect the 1st year, and what to expect the toddler years. And that was before the baby came out! I'm not bragging, I'm just saying it seems like no one prepares themselves for having a child, parenting doesn't come naturally unless you have practice. Also, did you read any books to help you out?

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 10:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I read so many many books! I read the what to expect when your expecting books, several books on discipline styles, a book on being a praying parent and even one book on being a single parent (I'm not, but at the time I was pregnant my husband was in the navy and he was only home 5 months a year so I almost was a single parent emotionally, lol)

I can see why some people don't though. People learn things different ways. Not everyone can pick up a book, read it, and remember everything they learned. Especially when there are so many options on what to read and you get some facts switched and mixed up.
    So if you're one of those people and you need to know something, I think this site is an awesome thing. Because instead of them going "I have to go buy a book and try to find the one answer I'm looking for 'right now' they can just log on and ask someone who has that knowledge at the ready.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I hated "What to Expect," it freaked me out. People don't read the books any more because you can just as easily search on the internet (from reputable sites) for the information.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i read birthing from within before my first baby, and i skipped through a breastfeeding book after my first was born. i find this forum can be helpful for quick answers, and you can get many points of view from all kinds of moms too. i think the kellymom website and la leche league websites are probably better than the book i read. also, a lot of women here give great breast feeding advice and information, that you may not get from many books.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I read what to expect when you expecting and I loved it. I dont really thing you need to ready any other books othe that what to expect the first year. It covers it really well.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have 4 kids and never cracked a book about having them or what to expect. I'm not bragging. So, please don't anybody think that. I'm just saying that I never did. I was a young mom and didn't have money for a bunch of books telling me what I should do. I went with my instincts and common sense more than anything else. My kids are now grown now. They are all rather successful in their lives. And are good upstanding citizens. So, I guess I did okay.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I read lots of books through my first pregnancy, but I don't think it's that useful, really. In the end, I just did what came naturally.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Many of those books can be misleading and for first time mothers.. can freak them out.. my frist child i read many of those books and found that there in no other way to gain experience but by just being a mom and talking directly with doctors. and finding other women going through the same thing you are.... Motherhood.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010