Is it bad to be induced?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 10:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think so. I was induced with all 3 of mine at 38 weeks. My husband works over the road so we had to know the exact day we were going to have our baby. So we planed for me to be induced at 38 weeks. All were delivered naturally too....except for being induced!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I was induced during labor twice because I wasn't progressing or even having contractions after my water broke. If you mean is it physically painful, I've heard it is more painful than regular contractions, but they all hurt very much to me, so ...
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• The more interventions you have, the higher your chances of having more and more...that lead to a c-section. And doctors are starting to induce earlier and earlier for no goos reason leading to the March Of Dimes to issue statement that inductions unless Absolutely medically necessary should not occur before 39 or 40 weeks.

Now, all that said, if you truly need one because it is an absolute medical necessity, then, no it is a good thing. If you get one before 39 weeks just because either you or the doctor just want to...then, yes, it is a bad thing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i think so, unless there is a true medical emergency. it seems to me, that interfering with a system that is working fine, only leads to more problems.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No. A doctor is not going to induce you if the baby is not ready.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think there are medical reasons to induce. But if it is just because you are tired of being pregnant, your doc is planning on being gone around your due date, or just because your due date came and baby didn't, I don't think it's a great idea. I was induced with my last baby at 42 weeks 4 days and that is all the further she would let me go due to my baby's health. It sucked!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

If only that was true. Many inductions are done for the mother and doctors convenience and not because they are necessary. They should only be done for medical reasons.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I was induced. Had I to do it over again I would have refused because it wasn't medically necessary, but I was young and not knowledgeable
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I was induced at 41 1/2 weeks...I had not dilated at all and was showing no signs of going into labor. First, they gave me two doses of the pill version and when that didn't work they used the inserted kind (felt like a tampon, VERY uncomfortable to me). Finally, 38 hours after coming to the hospital my water broke and I started to have contractions (I have no idea if they were normal ones or not, first pregnancy here). So anyway, I was sitting there having the contractions and about 15 min after my epidural my blood pressure crashed and my babies heartbeat disappeared. So they rushed us to the operating room and did an emergency c-section. Turns out that the FORCED contractions caused by the INDUCTION drugs made my daughters umbilical cord wrap around her neck. She was born dead and they had to revive her. All in all, NOT a supporter of being induced. Planned c-sections (to me) are much safer than being induced. IMHO
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It is a tool to help baby/mom be safer IF there is a complication.

Because induction is risky, it's important to choose wisely.

Generally the induction itself is more dangerous than waiting, so avoiding it is safer~
    Unnecessary interventions are very common so a mom needs to learn how to weigh her risks.
    Doctors do induce when "baby is not ready" --this does happen. Lots.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2010