Was your child the last one to grow?

My son is 15 1/2. He hasn't gone through puberty yet. He is in great emotional distress. He's a head or more shorter than all the boys he's been friends with since childhood. Adults / people in the public treat him like a child. Everything I try to say (be happy you are healthy, etc.) has long since worn thin. What can I say to him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you tried growth hormones? I've heard it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Boys mature later than girls. Puberty after 16 is fairly common.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Bring this up with his doctor.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Spoken to doctor, he's not worried at all, but that doesn't solve the emotional day to day issues I hear from my son. That's why I was hoping to hear from someone who's gone through this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When I was a kid (about 14-15 yrs old) my mom had a friend whose youngest son was like this. He confided in me one day that he was miserable since he was so little compared to his older brother's and all the boys at school. I told him that I was leaving home soon (I did a few months later) and that the next time I saw him (in a year or 2) I would probably have to look up to him. He said he hoped so - I said I bet you I will. When I came home 2 yrs later to visit sure enough - he'd grown almost a foot!! And I DID have to look up to him then! My experience has been that if they go through their growing phase later, they go through it longer - usually making them really really tall. My cousin didn't start til like almost 17 but didn't quit til like 24 and last I heard he is 6' 7"!!! Tell him it'll come - just be patient!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thanks Babylove. I've seen that happen with a cousin of mine, and actually the doctor also told him that was common - that the boys who hit puberty the latest get the tallest. I think my son doesn't want to hear it from "Mom" so I guess we'll just plod and listen to the complaints till the hormones hit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think my step son goes thru this as well, he asked us the other day if he would stop growing if he wore tight clothes(skinny jeans) and he's only 13, but his mom is only like 5'1" and his dad is like 5'11". He is the shortest of his friends, I kinda feel bad for him, but I wish they would just accept it. his dad always tells me this story of how his doctor told him he would grown to be 6"2"..... ummmm with a mom that was 5'1"??? it's possible, but accept if he doesn't, kwim?
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 12:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2010