• In the Spotlight:

Why can't suicide bombers just blow up themselves?

(CNN) — A three-year-old boy and a police officer were among six people killed in a suicide attack Tuesday morning in northwest Pakistan, police told CNN.

The suicide bomber walked up to a police station in the Bannu district and blew himself up next to a parked police van, said Iftikhar Khan, a local police chief.

Police say 19 people were also injured in the attack.

The Bannu district neighbors Pakistan’s tribal region along the Afghan border.

simple frown

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 10:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because blowing themselves up without killing bystanders would negate the purpose of strapping a bomb to themselves. They want to instill fear in others.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Because if they just blew themselves up they wouldn't be sending the message that they THINK they are sending.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sacrificing oneself is only part of their plan, sadly they must destroy more then themselves to be successful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I was going to say what the other girls said.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have thought about your question millions of times. I have also thought why can't drug addicts just hurt themselves, why can't drunk drivers just hurt themselves. It would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't. Even just plain suicide victims not only kill themselves, but they also destroy innocent lives and families because of their actions. Suicide bombers plan to kill many, or their mission is not complete. As some said above, their mission is to instill fear as well. I agree. The extremists feel that unless your life is lived in fear it's not worth living, I guess.

Good question.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• They think that the more people they kill the better in the name of God. The 19 year old that tried with a van bomb in Portland at the Christmas tree lighting is a prime example of a sick-o.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 10:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• That is not what I meant, I meant that they kill in the name of God. Not that they should. I did a really bad typing error. I'm a idiot. I'm so sorry.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 10:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I can not figure out why a sick-o would strap on explosives. There is no God that gets kicks out of what the sick-o's are doing.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 11:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• In there twisted version of Islam... it is required to not only sacrifice self but to kill others. If they fail to kill others then they do not get to their version of paradise .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Because that would defeat their purpose.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010