What kind of skillet do you use/think is best?

My grandmother believed iron skillets were the best..and research has shown trace amounts of iron cook into your food when you use tham and that's supposed to be a good thing. I got a really nice aluminum skillet last year for Christmas but everything sticks to it, no matter how much oil I use..I hate it! My x would only use teflon and I was just looking at the skillets he left here and noticing the teflon tht has been cooked/scraped..came off, and I thought good god how much teflon have I ingested in these past few years?! Scary!! I'm going to go buy new skillets today..what kind would you suggest and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Shopping

• Hot pan, cold oil --foods never stick.

You haven't seasoned your pan... if you had an unseasoned cast iron pan, you'd be in the same place.

To season, if it has an oven-safe handle: coat the inside well with some light vegetable oil (something without much flavour like canola or safflower), place in a cold oven, turn the oven on to 350' and once it's up to temperature turn the oven off and leave the pan for an hour.

To season on the stovetop: coat well with oil, turn the burner on low for 5 minutes, turn it up to medium for 5 minutes then turn it up to high for 5 minutes, turn the heat off and let it cool for an hour.

Either way, wipe out excess oil and DO NOT WASH.

From now on, do not wash the pan with soap, ever.... or you'll get to re-season it right away. Just scrub it while running the hottest water you have into it --the oil coating makes it non-stick. Re-season if it starts sticking.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I use cast iron or stainless steel.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I use both cast iron and nonstick depending on what I'm cooking. My nonstick set is made by Farberware. I've been using them for over a year without any problems.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My husband bought a stainless steel pan that I absolutely hate. I have an urge to throw it out.

I prefer my nonstick Kirkland (Costco) brand to cook with.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I use a cast iron skillet for heavy cooking like browning meats, and I use a non-stick one for lighter cooking like eggs or crepes. I like the iron one because it is really heavy duty and can hold up to a lot of abuse; my favorite cast iron skillet belonged to my great-grandmother and is over 100 years old! I like to use the non-stick skillets when I am cooking delicate things that will be damaged if they stick to the pan, and since I treat the non-stick pans gently they are holding up pretty well. I've had stainless steel and aluminum skillets too, but I didn't like them.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Teflon is so bad for you! It's a fluoride derived chemical that leeches into food when heated.
    I only use cast iron anymore. I have two skillets and a dutch oven. If cared for properly they create a natural non-stick surface, they do allow small amounts of iron into food, and they will last forever.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i use cast iron and non-stick. i hate stainless for a skillet (but the rest of my pots are stainless).
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We usually use the cast iron we bought, but also have an aluminum one I use for moist foods (like pasta dishes with sauce) and also one teflon my dh insists he needs for his special eggs.

BTW - if you get the cast iron, you can't use them for tomato based dishes because the acid is not good in the iron pans.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 3:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• The best you can afford.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I bought a Emeril Lagasse frying pan and it's awesome
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010