Is religion a prerequisite to moral behavior?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• only if you want to live under the law. meaning the OT law.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, just a prerequisite to seeing yourself "better" or "more privileged" abouve other people who are non-religion.

If anything it's a prerequisite to ignorance, arrogance and pretentious behavior.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 11:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If that were true, then everyone who was religious would also be moral. And that is most definitely not the case.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I believe it is. Religion establishes a character and a set of morals that one should live their life by, so in return certain moral character is obtained. Christianity has the ten commandments and Jesus' example that Christians are taught to abide by. But I also believe that people can be of strong character and have no religious background but have been brought up to have strong morals. Good question, now I am babbling.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:11 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, but life is full of bad choices that can be hard to avoid. Religion helps by reminding us that we should act morally even when it's hard.  You can be very religious and be immoral, and you can be non religious and have a high moral standard. For many people though religious institutions give us an opportunity to help more in the community, to reach out to others in need, and to gain support from one another. All moral and things to do.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No. Religion has nothing to do with moral behavior. Some religions wrote down what they consider to be moral behavior, but society at large determines what moral behavior is. And that differs from society to society.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Of course not. My children are being raised without religion, but even my 4yo can tell you it's wrong to harm others... Most of what we call "morals" are simply common sense!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't have a specific religion, but I do have a relationship with God. I do not in anyway believe that my morals or my integrity have anything to do with religion.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, I know a lot of Christian's who don't live a very "moral" life, and I know a lot of non-Christian's who live a more "Christian like" life. People are just people whatever their religion, some are good and some not so much.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• In no way, shape, or form.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2010