Would you feel guilty if???

You worked at 3 in the morning having to get up at 2 and couldnt get to bed until midnight then took a nap when your toddler did only you dont wake up to your alarm clock and your toddler was fine perfectly content playing in their room for maybe an hour? My friend did this the other day and she was almost in tears telling me about it. She said nothing happened to her kid just played (she thinks since nothing was broken and there werent any messes) I tried telling her that as long as she isnt making a habit of it and not leaving dangerous stuff lying around she had nothing to feel guilty for

Rockabye

Asked by Rockabye at 11:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, it happens and you can't beat yourself up about something you cannot change.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would probably feel guilty. I cant sleep with my kids up at all. So I don't get much sleep. But just the idea of what could happens scares the heck out of me.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Just put a gate up in her child's doorway just incase it does happen again. I know of a lot of women who take naps while their kids are secure in their playroom. There's nothing wrong with it as long as they're safe and it's not for a long period of time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I understand how your friend feels. I would probably feel guilty as well. We're all human though, and she needs to forgive herself, especially since nothing happened. It sounds like she needs some help so she can safely and without guilt get some rest. Might be a nice Christmas gift to offer to babysit so that she can get some sleep.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• @ohwrite I offered to babysit as long as I'm not working she feels bad having someone babysit longer than her work hours just so she can sleep. She usually does fine taking naps but since that day she refuses to take them unless her hubby is home (which isnt often) and she cant get to bed until after 9 if she is lucky so I'm kinda worried she's just gonna crash out one of these days while driving or something. I even tried to sneak in a play date for the kids at my place and she wanted to come too instead of napping. I think she feels guilty about working and not spending 24/7 with her baby
    Rockabye

Comment by Rockabye (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, I'd feel terrible if that happened to me, but mistakes happen. As you said, as long as she doesn't make a habit of it or do it on purpose, there's no reason to continually beat herself up about it. No harm came to her little one this time and that's good, but if she thinks it could happen again, she might want to invest in a second or third alarm clock for "just in case".
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• @mom2aspclboy Her house is completely child proof. That kid could try anything and everything and still not hurt himself. She keeps it spotless all the furniture is sturdy enough that it cant be tipped over and most is plush so bumping it dont hurt she has the thing that keeps the chairs from being pulled out until you disengage it every drawer and cabinet has childlocks the ones with knives or chemicals are also padlocked. She is like the super childproof woman. And she usually doesnt sllep in anyway but she had only had 2 hrs of sleep I tried explaining all of this too her and she still feels guilty and refuses to take the nap that bumped her up to 6-7 hrs sleep instead of 5 every night. Maybe she'll try the several alarm clocks though
    Rockabye

Comment by Rockabye (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well shit happens, we all have over slept from time to time. Not that this was a good thing, and she was lucky, but whats done is done, she can't change it. She needs some help, so she can catch up on some sleep while her child is well taken care of.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010