Seriously, does it bother you if I say Merry Christmas?

It doesn't bother me if you say Happy Chanukah or Happy Kwanza, or even if you don't respond at all because you are atheist. So who's really the bigot here? How about I put up my decorations and you put up yours (or not) and we'll just happily agree to disagree??!!

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't understand it either.

I've had LOTS of people say "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Kwanza" and it doesn't bother me a bit. I have never taken offense to it at all! I have NEVER corrected someone nor would I.

As a matter of fact I have a good friend who celebrates Hanukka and she always says "Happy Hanukka and for you Merry Christmas" and I always reply "Merry Christmas and for you Happy Hanukka."

We do this because we have a MUTUAL RESPECT for each others beliefs, understand and respect that we are different and do NOT try to snuff out each other's beliefs.

I don't think it's a big deal at all to say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! If you don't celebrate Christmas politely smile and ignore it OR politely tell the person you do not celebrate Christmas. MOST people are not going to freak out and be mean about it.

Of course there is the occational person but for the most part it's not a big deal. Everyone's different!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No, but Honey, there are people out there in the everyday who specifically look for things to biatch about. It's what they do. You cannot stop them, they enjoy it. Say what you want, if they don't like it, they don't have to listen.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Absolutely not. It's simply wishing another person well. I most certainly do NOT correct my Jewish friends when they wish me a happy Chanukah, nor do I correct my Muslim friends when they wish me well on Eid. They are wishing me the best, they are using their own reference to do so - and I am not so small-minded as to take offense to others who wish me well.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, I agree with you. If someone who celebrated Hanukkah said "Happy Hannukah" to me I would simply smile and say thank you. I wouldn't say "Sorry, I don't believe in that so don't say it to me". They are not forcing their religion on me with a simple greeting they are simply enjoying their holiday, as I enjoy mine. I don't find it offensive. There have always been and always will be different religions so what's the point of arguing who's right and who's wrong? Just accept it for what it is and enjoy your Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza, etc.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think the type of people who complain when someone says "Merry Christmas" are looking for something to bitch about. They have nothing to believe in and are just grumpy no matter what. I say Merry Christmas and will continue to say Merry Christmas because that';s what I believe. I don't get upset when someone says "Happy Holidays" or Happy Hannukah"...what's the difference?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, It doesn't bother me if people tell me Happy Hanukkah! Or whatever else there is.

...I got love for all Holidays! :) Best time of year!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with mavi. If they don't complain about this they will find something else. Say what you want to say.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't care. I take the message in the *spirit* in which it was intended.

The only time I get offended is when people get up in arms as if "their" holiday is the only legitimate holiday during this time of year.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Nope! While I celebrate Christmas, if someone said Happy Hanukkah or Kwanzaa to me I'd thank 'em and say it right back at 'em. It does not bother me to hear other holiday greetings, or the generic "happy holidays", "seasons greetings".

So to everyone on CM I hope you all have a WONDERFUL Holiday season-- no matter which holiday you celebrate!

wreath  happy hanukkah  happy kwanzaa  happy holidays

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• On the same token, feel free to celebrate whatever holiday you want, I do not discriminate nor call anyone wrong for anything they choose.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010