Are Budgie Birds People Birds?

I'm sure I didn't phrase this appropriately, but ...

I would like to eventually get a Budgie. I work at home and would love the company in my office. I'm there for the majority of the day during the week. However, in the evening I'm in and out minimally and we oftentimes go away on the weekends. Would a bird be okay with this schedule or should I just consider that a bird may not be ideal at this time?

Thanks!

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pets

• it all depends, I have one that I got from a breeder that is hand tame,and loves to come out of its cage and sit on my shoulder.. if you get one from the petstore, most are not tame at all, which takes alot of time and patients to get tame, could takes months, years. I have lots of birds, and my expierence its best to get from a breeder that hand feeds there babies :) that way you can enjoy your bird more!!! look on the ebay ads, there are lots of breeders from all over on there, or go to birdsnow.com, or sometimes craigslist will have hand tame ones, but not often. Well good luck, have any questions email me :)
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 12:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Actually, they aren't really that social. They can be if you work with them. But they are just fine on their own too. I have a sun conure, and she needs love all the time! Budgies are a little lower maintenence. But the darn things fling poop everywhere!lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have 2 and they amuse themselves for the most part. If i were you I'd consider getting a pair

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• budgies are basically parakeets and yes they make great companions...train it early on as soon as you get it and you will have a friend that will make you laugh all day long and they do love they're peoople
    HELP767

Answer by HELP767 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2010