Is there a way to get rid of pink eye without going to the doctor?

My son woke up today with gunky eyes. =( We don't have medical so if there was any way I could deal with i without going in I'd love to do that. And no bashing please. If I need to bring him in I will....just seeing if there's an alternative.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Health

• This always worked for me. ... But if it doesn't work right away, then DO go to the doctor - eyes are too precious to mess with !

At a health food store, get some golden seal in powdered pure form (sometimes you'll find it in gel capsules) The tablets will NOT work here because of the binders used to hold the golden seal in tablet form.

Put a half teaspoon of pure golden seal powder in the bottom of a VERY clean cup. Pour in about 3/4 cup of boiling water. If you stir it, do not use a metal utensil, use something wood or plastic. Let it steep and cool for several minutes. The grains of golden seal should fall to the bottom of the cup. If they don't, then stir the surface a little to make them fall down.

Now you have a golden liquid in the cup, with all bits of powder at the bottom. This liquid eliminates conjunctivitis.

To apply, use a half of a cotton ball. First clean the eye with plain clean water, (if it's luke- (cont)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You should visit a doctor. If it goes untreated, it could hurt his vision.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 11:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm 99.9% sure there's not. It's a infection. I used to get it a lot...I don't know why but I did. But antibiotics are needed for it. It'd be nice if it just went away...But too, you can't know for sure if it's pink eye without goin to the Dr.

You should try to apply for med. assistance in your state...I'm sure they would help you! :) Good Luck! :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, you can get OTC meds, they take longer to work, and you have to use them for a longer period as well.

Just make sure you keep hands washed in HOT water, and wipe down surfaces like crazy... it'll help prevent reinfecting, and spreading. Only problem is that he can't go to school, and most states require a Drs excuse for absence.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• All three of my kids just got over this. Conjunctivitis/pink eye, is very easy to clear up with antibiotics. They only costed me $4 and I called my county social services to get the number of a sliding fee scale clinic that takes people without insurance, and I also was referrred to minute clinics(google it ). Believe it or not, if you wait too long it can actually turn into a serious thing with blood and all.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• (cont'd) If the water is lukewarm, then it will be more comfortable for the child.

So, clean the eye of the dried mucus. You'll use a lot of cotton balls because you never want to touch the eye a second time with a ball which has contacted the germs in the eye - wipe once, and discard.

Also, be very careful not to transfer anything from one eye to the other - use fresh cotton balls, and wash your hands with soap before treating the second eye.

After cleaning the first eye, then tear a cotton ball in half, dip the CLEAN ball into the golden seal liquid, and wipe it across the eye, trying to get some of it into the eye. Again, there must be no bits of powder in the liquid to get into the eye, and if it's lukewarm then it won't irritate. Again, DON'T put the cotton used to wipe the eye back into the liquid. If you want another swipe, get a fresh bit of cotton !

Wash your hands and do the other eye.

3 times in 1 day (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• (cont'd) 3 applications spaced out over one day usually took care of it - but I repeated it for the next two days just to be sure.

Don't know how old your son is, but do your best to keep him from rubbing his eyes, keep his hands washed frequently.

My daughter phoned from college when her roommate got it. She went to the store and came out with "golden seal tincture" or something in a bottle. She thought she would be ahead of the game because it was already in liquid form.

Fortunately, she phoned me back and I had her check the ingredients - it had alcohol in it ! That would have been excessively painful for her roommate's eyes !!! So she went back into the store and found something with plain pure golden seal powder.

So watch out for that kind of thing !! Boiled water, plain golden seal powder (it is a deep golden green/yellow), a VERY clean cup, and pristine cotton balls.

The advantage is you avoid internal antibiotic
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• you can't put OTC stuff in a child's eyes!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Blue, yes you can. It is a perfectly safe way to treat conjunctivitis, I have had to do so many times for myself, my children, and my SO. My mother also did the same for me as a child.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2010