In your opinion, who's more responsible for passing around outrageous or untrue stories . . .

Conservatives or liberals? I thought of this question after seeing the fake TSA story from Dead Serious News. I am a conservative, and I'm sorry to say that most of the outrageous stories seem to come from conservatives (and some of those conservatives even call themselves Christians--I speak as a fellow Christian.)

To wit:

--Obama being born in Kenya and therefore unqualified to be President

--Muslims praying in the streets of NYC every Friday and blocking traffic (when this is an event that happens only once a year)

--Obama writing racist passages in his two books (which are passages taken out of context, and the reason I know this is because I checked the source)

--The FCC planning to make it illegal to mention the name of "God" on the air (and various permutations of that same e-mail)

--The Food Safety Bill currently in Congress will make it illegal to grow your own food in your backyard

--One I found this morning from The New American, saying that national healthcare will require all of us to be implanted with RIFD chips (I have NOT checked on this story, so it *could* be that it's true; but this one sounds outrageous enough to be a rumor).

And too often, when I point people to snopes.com, which is excellent at refuting Internet rumors, I am told, "Snopes is liberal!" "Snopes is a liberal shill for the Democratic Party!" Snopes is run by a husband and wife team, David and Barbara Mikkleson. David claims no political party affiliation and Barbara is a Canadian citizen and, as such, has NO RIGHT TO VOTE in the United States.

If you think that Snopes is too liberal for your taste, truthorfiction.com is another "hoax-busting" site that deals with some of the same rumors.  And many of their conclusions are the same as the Snopes.com website.  And if all else fails, there's always Google--and if you don't like Google, there are other search engines out there as well.

I think one reason why too many people aren't turned on to conservatism is that too often, they are the ones responsible for some of the more outrageous stuff on the Internet.  I have said repeatedly that if you post something that's not true without checking it out first, you kill your credibility AND the credibility of those you associate with.  If you're a Christian and you do this, you violate the Ninth Commandment, which is, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."  (You know, one of the big ten that so many of you think should be posted on public property and in courthouses around the US?)

I DO think there is much to be alarmed about the current state of our country.  But neither conservatives nor liberals help their cause when they 1) deliberately pass around false information or, 2) pass along information in good faith without checking it out first. 

:: stepping down from my soapbox ::

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 11:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I get a lot of these mailings, and while the most outrageous claims I've ever heard have come from some particularly rabid "Tea Partiers" (in quotes because most of the TPP in the area are disavowing this bunch... and I have a recording of one telling me in all seriousness that she was going to an Obama Death Camp)....

BOTH sides tell stories that are incorrect or just plain lies. I separate "incorrect" because EVERYONE is capable of making honest mistakes and I've seen that from both sides. Mistakes are made without malice.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have to ask why you only posted things from the right?

http://www.stopliberallies.com/

http://www.theusreport.com/the-us-report/leftwing-lies-about-taxing-the-wealthy.html

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-independent-in-boston/outrageous-lies-from-another-soros-funded-left-wing-hack-organization

http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_html/frugal-blog/frugal-cafe-blogzone/2010/04/05/msnbcs-chris-matthews-yes-more-left-wing-media-lies-the-word-regime-the-6769-examples-of-it-used-against-pres-bush-by-leftist-msm/
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• One post to call out the satiracal TSA story wasn't enough? I got it when you replied to my post.No big deal it is still funny imo and so I left my post up.It happens on both sides..I admitted to my error...I have to say though that I bet it is only a matter of time before that story becomes a reality...wait and see
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• There is spew on both sides. Recently a warped liberal on here believed bush said the constitution was a "goddamned piece of paper". When asked for a link, she wouldn't provide. So, upon googling it brought up some interesting liberal rags. None of which could confirm the quote. Then there werelinks from factcheck, abcnews, fox and CNN disproving the quote. To think dome believe this crap and the crap you listed above, OP- points to the theory ignorance us bliss.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Here is a recent outrageous conspiracy theory~ someone recently said:
    "Most people who conceal a weapon are criminals." to a question discussing legal conceal carry states.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Both are equally ignorant and irresponsible.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 11:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• As for the food safety bill it would make it too costly and hard for the small man.So not exactly totalyl untrue.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ohhh and OP many of your Obama references were actually started from Hillary's campaign. If you visit Hillary sites of 2007-08~ you will see the spew's development.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• it's been my experience that conservatives tend to use fear mongering and twist stories more than liberals and moderates do.

Yes them damn conservatives and the global warming hoax. They have damn near gotten away with the biggest fraud in history.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• gd, I check the FOX nation daily and have never seen that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010