why do people not have medical for their child?

i am just curious because i know alot of people don't want to do the medical assistance thing because they think its beneathe them but sometimes as a parent we have to do things that are for the best for our child. i know people that have medical assistnace for their child and not for themselves. that is fine. what is the big deal. it might be a temporary situation but i think all children need care. it scares me if people do not have medical for their child and something happens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• if the pink eye is caused by a virus (it often is) then no antibiotic will help. using antibiotics for a virus only make things like mrsa resistant to antibiotics, and destroy the good bacteria that is needed in your system in the first place. much of the time it is best to let your body heal itself. that is what it was made to do.
    something involving the eyes should still be watched very closely.
    i saw that question, and i would not say that this mom has pride issues that are preventing her from seeking medical care, but i do see your point.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, not everyone needs it. There are other options out there such as HSAs or Discount Plans or simply just paying cash. And there are lots of parents who don't use doctors unless someone is seriously ill... Where I live kids are covered, no matter what you make, you qualify for insurance for children - adults are different, but kids are covered. So times when we don't have the option of insurance they still have that. But to be honest we still rarely use it. I see no reason to take the kids to the doctor if they aren't sick and we don't do medications if there are more natural options. So even if we didn't have state insurance to back up their care, we could always just pay for what we need... And in most places if your child has an emergency the State Insurance will still step in, even if the child is already under care...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Then there is a HUGE slice of society which does not qualify for assistance, and can not afford an insurance premium.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• $$$$$$$$$$?

As for medical assistance...I dunno.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Because they're addicts.

They're addicted to eating and sleeping indoors.

The rigors needed to prove the need for assistance are not only impossible for a huge segment of the population (because they 'don't qualify' which doesn't mean they can afford coverage, just that they're above the imaginary line arbitrarily drawn by bureaucrats) but are also impossible for many people to understand and meet.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my mother was never approved for medical until AFTER she passed away. Rediculous as that sounds its true. They wouldn't give it to any of us kids. The Dept of Children and families said they made $2 too much. YES, $2 was the reason they were denied for medical assistance. My mother just had to take us to the ER whenever something would happen. Then she spent the remainder of her life paying off those medical bills. Then after she passed away, they approved her and my two younger sisters and my dad and nephew (whom my mother was taking care of and is disabled) for medicaid. That could be a logical reason why some dont have medical for their children. I'm glad that I was approved for medical for my daughter and for this pregnancy. Even if it is a co pay, Its a lot easier on us then trying to pay all the bills and such while my fiance is out of work (disability) for a couple months.
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 11:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• well the reason i ask is because someone wanted to do an over the counter for something that needs antibiotics. its rediculous. at least go to a clinic. at least get the kid care. even if someone doesn;t have medical for their child at least get the kid care. maybe i didn't post the question the right way. this mother wanted to not bring her child for medical care because of her none medical for her child. i do not believe its a reason to not go for medical treatment. as a parent we must scarfice our pride sometimes for the best interest of the child.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• how do you know the child needed antibiotics?
    i would seek out alternatives first, regardless of weather or not my children had medical insurance.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• well because she thought it was pink eye and the other people responded about antibiotics. sometimes there is no alternative for things. don;t go backwards. we must move forward.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010