If you have gone through a divorce with no job how did you survive?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Public assistance for a couple months so I didn't lose my apartment, then I got child care help through the state and worked full time. Then I met my current hubby and the rest is history.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I stayed at my parents, got a job, paid off debt like crazy, didnt waste money on fighting him with an attorney, was cheaper to just pay the debt off and move on. The first year I paid off $10,000 of debt, the second year I saved like crazy to move out. Was very hard and luckily my parents let me live rent free for 2 yrs to put mylife back together. I was very careful about picking any men because I worked so hard to put my life together I didnt want someone to come in and dump me with a mess again!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have heard that if you are going for a divorce to let HIM file and get a lawyer. He will pay your court costs and such since HE filed first. And, you dont have to have a lawyer unless its going to be nasty or custody.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 11:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• "I have heard that if you are going for a divorce to let HIM file and get a lawyer. He will pay your court costs and such since HE filed first. And, you dont have to have a lawyer unless its going to be nasty or custody."

That is NOT the case in California. You always need a lawyer whether or not you file. My husband's ex left him for another man. Yet he filed 2 months later. They chose arbitration and still each needed their own lawyer to review the documents.

By the way, she didn't work ever in their 25 year marriage. He still has to pay alimony even though she had an affair and left him. So you can file for spousal support if you are not working.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• if you have family...that helps alot....also you do have rights...get a good lawyer and don't let your husband scare you or intimidate you...you deserve better and this will pass
    HELP767

Answer by HELP767 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010