My husband has not spoken more than 5 words to me in a week. adult content

I let him know last week that I feel like he has "checked out" of our marriage and our family and that I am tired of feeling like single parent. When he is home, all he seems to do is yell a lot.

jlbattat

Asked by jlbattat at 12:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• He's just sulking. Turn the tables and stop talking to him. Let it go for about a week and see what he does. If he still refuses to talk to you, then I would try marriage counseling, but I am willing to bet he comes around.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ask him what's bothering him? It has to be something since he his taking his anger out on his family.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my boyfriend has done that and it pisses me off so bad, when he can clearly see i need help and he just sits on his ass. Its hard, I just wanted to make him leave and get outta our life but once i talked to him about it he was pised but then things changed. good luck
    mommyof2bbys

Answer by mommyof2bbys at 12:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I imagine right now he is still feeling hurt/mad that you said that to him -- even though you do have the right to tell him how you feel. I do think the two of you need to sit down and talk to each other about all of this and be willing to listen and hear what the other is saying. See if you both can come up with ways to work this out, and get everything back on track. It also might be a good idea to think about marriage counseling (if that is something you both would be willing to do). I hope the two of you are able to talk and get everything worked out! Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• First, let's look at what you have control over: you.

Second, let's look at what you have no control over: other people.

So... with an eye solely to what you could do something about... what could you do differently around and to your husband that might be considered (by anyone on the planet) to be loving?

Men withdraw when they feel that there is nothing they can do to please someone, when they're routinely criticized or nagged... because men (unlike everyone else who LOVES to be nagged and criticized) prefer to be open and present with people who make them feel better about themselves when present than when absent.

I am not suggesting he's not a bastard or that he's completely innocent, just that 100% of your power lies in what YOU choose to do--how you approach him, which tone of voice you use, what you say, and how generous of spirit you display in an average day.

You can't make your marriage worse with kindness.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• silent game.....ive had to do it back to my sons father quite a few times....sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt....just depends on how much of a jerk you are dealing with
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• get your thoughts together & decide what is best for you &whether it is worth what you are going through to remain in this marriage. Fool wouldn't be ignoring me & if he chose to do so, iwould write him a nice email letting him know that whenever he decides that he is ready to talk don't bother. He is being very disrespectful for men & women do it to each other as a method of control& punishment. I would try one more time to ask him to talk with me, making it clear that if he decides not to speak that you are not going to beg him to talk to you. spend your energy and oxygen planning an exit strategy and how you plan to deal with him forthcoming, open up a separate account & stash money, don't say a word about leaving.i would leave him& his arrogant silence alone. he is talking to someone, but he comes home&disrespects you& you allow it? respect yourself by demanding respect from him. BTW, you dont have a marriage!
    ladyofhonor

Answer by ladyofhonor at 1:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2010