anyone work in a warehouse/distribution center environment? I have a question!

I have an interview on friday for a Home Depot warehouse on friday! I have retail experience and have assisted in the stockroom, but I'm sure it is nothing compared to an entire facility dedicated to that type of labor. I'd love some tips and advice on what to expect! thanks! They do ask the employee to be able to work with merchandise up to 75 lbs which I am a bit nervous about since I dont have much muscle lol but do most companies allow team effort when needed?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• 7. Don't worry about the weight thing. Chances are you won't be lifting 75 pounds over and over again all day. There is just a chance you will have to. They want to make sure you don't have any back problems or things like that. After getting use to lifting smaller things you will build up being able to lift that. If they make you do a weight test make sure you are lifting with your knees so they see you can do it safely. If you can't lift it say you are a little out of shape and have no problem working up to it.

I hire people for warehouse jobs, so this is just a scrambled list of things we look for.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• They are most likely looking for someone that has a good work history and a good attitude. Key points to talk about during the interview:
    1. You are looking to get your foot in the door with a good company and that you are looking for long term employment.
    2. Don't say if you are planning on going back to school. No employer really wants to work around a school schedule.
    3. Be energetic and eager to work hard.
    4. If asked if you've ever had problems with a co-worker. . Say yes, I've worked with a person with a very different work ethic than mine. We eventually found a way to make it work to our advantage or something like that and give examples. No employer believes you get along with everyone, but wants to know you can handle conflict without slowing production.
    5. Don't talk negative about a past job or boss.
    6. Be prepared to give examples of how fast and accurate you can work.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• They may ask you to take a strength test if you are expected to lift certain amounts of weight.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Just so you know, "work with" up to 75 pounds doesn't mean you have to lift it. Slipe it, use a dolly, teamwork, etc are all acceptable ways of moving that stuff. hey just want you to be willing to work with it, not stand there and say "I'm a giel, I can't do it."
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I worked in the office of a factory that also had a shipping department. Might not be the same thing exactly, but it's probably similiar. They'll want to make sure you can handle all the equipment so you're not a safety hazard and can follow instruction.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010