Why doesnt the law proect us?!

My ex has been threatening my children and me non-stop. I called the police filled a report. The ex called this morning with the same BS. I called the police back and the just updated the file. There is nothing they can do until he physically doesn't something to my or my children. He has a violent record on him. He's been to jail for assault and domestic violence. Can't they see he is a threat! He knows where I live, what I drive, where my daughter goes to school. He knows where most of my family lives too. Why doesn't the law protect us until it's to late!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Just be as careful as you can, and write down and report EVERYTHING he says or does. Whether he drives by your house at 3 a.m. or calls you and harasses you keep track of it. Most women that are murdered are killed by psychos that they were trying distance themselves from so you want a record of all that's happened. It's sad but true that the law doesn't protect women like it should, but as they say "there are bigger fish to fry" busting drug dealers and prostitutes is apparently more profitable for the police and courts.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You can't arrest people for a crime that hasn't happened yet. Sad sometimes, but it's the way it has to be.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• have you checked into getting a restraining order. One that will say he can't go near you or your children and see if you can also make it state he is not allowed to call your home.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• DO NOT pick up the phone. Let the answering machine get it. While you cannot legally record him while you're on the phone with him, any messages you receive from him or texts you get are legally admissible. (Texts would have to be verifiable with the phone company.)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• He has to physically do something in order to file. So sorry you're going through this momma.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I cant get a restraining order until he physically does something
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Honestly, I would make something up.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• not technically true. I know someone who took one out on her husband when she left him and he didn't do anything to her not even calling her but she was able to get one on him.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• go to domestic violence intervention services or dvis or something to that degree in your area , they can help u.
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We just broke up, I wrote the post about the guy who stole from my children
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010