If you take Christ out of the season?

Then please tell me what is the reason for the two weeks in December all about? Why go out and put my self in debt to buy gifts for my family? I mean as a christian I bless my family throughout the year with gifts, I feed the homless,take care of of widows etc... Jesus taught me to do these things daily not 2wks out of the year. The ideal of giving gifts to one another arose out of christians practicing what Jesus was born for, which was to give us (mankind) the ultimate gift of redemption. But if this is not the reason for the season then what are all these people celebrating and going into debt for? For a "Holiday"? A holiday for what, I really am going to need a reason to run out and continue to put myself in debt for a man made holiday for retailers....

comfort8

Asked by comfort8 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The time from Dec. 20th or 21st to Jan. 1st constitutes the Winter Solstice--the 12 days of yuletide. It is nights of long darkness, waiting for the sun to come back, and many different cultures had lengthy celebrations during this time to celebrate the November harvest and the return of the Sol Invictus (the eternal sun). When christianity forced its way into these cultures, they found that the times of celebration were hard for them to make the pagan people give up. Would YOU want to give up a 12-day party?? So they removed the Sol Invictus or the birthday of Mithras and substituted Dec. 25th for Jesus's birthday. They kept the Germanic bringing in of the evergreen and burning of the Yule log. They kept the gift exchange of the Roman Invictus ceremonies. They kept the feasting of the Celts. If you CHOOSE to celebrate the birth of christ on this pagan holiday, you have that freedom. Just don't push it off onto ME!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, I have never once gone in to debt over Yule or Christmas, and I participate in both, so I have no idea why you are going in to debt. However, Seeing how the traditions which Christmas is based on not only predate modern society but Christianity in general I don't see how Jesus could have anything to do with the day. The Winter Solstice was being celebrated for centuries prior to the "birth of Jesus" and had/has nothing to do with him. Today's Christmas is purely secular for most people. It's about setting time aside for family and friends, to spread good will, happiness and cheer to everyone. It's a time to remember that we are all one people, we take a step back from the every day lines drawn between the poor and rich, the black and white, the gifted and the less fortunate and understand that we are all the same, that we are all equals. Because unfortunately, most people don't live this way the rest of the year.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• There are people who don't believe in God who like the giving, as well. It's a fun holiday. It doesn't have to be religious in order for someone to want to help others or spend time with loved ones. Going into debt is ridiculous regardless of what you believe.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Then please tell me what is the reason for the two weeks in December all about?

It breaks up the long depressing winter.  November is cold, wet and dreary and January is long and bitterly cold but the festivities in December give us something to anticipate and celebrate. 

Besides, it's fun!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hmmm....how are people removing YOUR christmas holiday? I am confused by this. Can you still celebrate how you wish too? Can you worship your lord on his birthday? Can you go to church for christmas eve mass? Can you pray to him? Can you sing to him? Can you honor him however you wish?
    Does MY celebrating my family and our love together hinder any of this? Please explain.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Take Christ out, and you have THE REAL reason for the season.. The one Christianity stole from Pagans in order to convert people.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Who pissed in the OP's cheerios?

Do whatever the fuck you want for the holidays,  I'm reasonably sure that no one cares.

Newsflash:  I will do what I want and I don't need your permission or your approval! 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Yes, I agree. I also think it is ironic how some people don't believe in god. But still like the receiving part at Christmas
    Anonymous

• While it is popular to assume that Christmas was originated by Christians, there has been a winter festival of one kind or another since there were people living in temperate regions.

Virtually every image associated with Christmas is from somewhere else: the lights, the tree, the ivy, the holly, the candles, snowflakes, reindeer, elves, bells, singers, mummers, gift giving, the shapes of the ornaments, robins, cardinals, cedar boughs, red ribbons, wreaths, snowmen...

Debt is not intrinsically tied up with Christmas, whether it is celebrated as a spiritual holy day or as Santa Day. I happen to call it Christmas because I always have --it's our family's tradition. But we're heretics goin' way back...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• OP....perhaps you should step back a moment and reflect upon that God of yours. Because your attitude towards others is hardly "peace and loving". You can have your Christmas, Christ and all. No one is taking that away from you. So just relax!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010