Just read the following: any thoughts?

From NBC’s Ken Strickland and Kelly O'Donnell
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell announced this morning that Republicans will block any legislation from coming to the Senate floor until two key economic issues are addressed: funding the government (the “continuing resolution” which must pass to prevent a government shutdown) and the extension of the Bush-era tax cuts.

While there are other items that might ultimately be worthy of the Senate's attention, we cannot agree to prioritize any matters above the critical issues of funding the government and preventing a job-killing tax hike,” the letter reads.

While I agree with Gov. funding issues, it does appear that the Republicans are bent on keeping the tax cuts for their wealthy friends and the use of terms like "job-killing tax hike" comes under "fear-mongering".... from what I've read they want the tax cuts for the very wealthy and large corporations to stay in place or they won't approve them staying in place for the middle and lower income groups. So, with the tax cuts that Bush put through in what...2003 and currently millions out of work...tax cuts for the very wealthy and large corporations obviously do not result in jobs in this country but of course people here being able to support their families isn't the main concern of our elected officials in Congress.

meriana

Asked by meriana at 12:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• despicable

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm with them. These two items are a priority. If the tax cuts expire, all our taxes will go up. Not just the wealthy, everyone. It's time to address it and debate it. There are Democrats who agree extending all of the cuts is wise, at least for the short term. Why this hasn't been done escapes me. My opinion is some want to let it all expire and doing nothing will accomplish that. It's time to stop monkeying around with stuff that can wait and address the stuff that can't.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• ...wow.....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have to say that with the new FDA Food Modernization Act headed to the House, I'm all for the Republicans blocking the Dems until these other things get done.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• "Liberals scream "obstruction!," but think about it. The government runs out of money in two days and a huge tax hike looms over the economy. But what are the Dems doing? "Don't ask, don't tell," a settlement with black farmers and the DREAM Act. In other words, they are throwing the final crumbs to key Democratic special interest groups while the rest of the country's business takes a back seat"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-turn/2010/12/mcconnell_ups_the_ante.html

I agree with this...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We aren't paying them to to engage in a pissing contest, we are paying them to do the business of the people. WTF man? Stop whinning and start dealing...

I hate all this "we've got bigger balls than you" bullshit. Plan a meeting a hash it out like everyother organization in this country does. Spend more time actually doing business and less time strategizing and shit will get done.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

clapping

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Unfortunate, but NOT surprising to me. Why anyone who's not one of the top 2% of the wealthy would think that Republicans look out for them is beyond me. I have never understood how they dupe so many people. I think many in Congress agree that it's ok to extend the tax cuts for the bottom 98% (at least temporarily), but they disagree on what the cut off should be. If many of them think $250,000 is not a good cut off, why don't they make a different cut off (like $500,000) and just make a decision already? There's definitely room for compromise if they try, but personally I don't want to see tax cuts extended for the wealthiest 1-2% at all.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Because this administration is all about bringing down this evil capitalistic society, and replace it with the government that knows best for everyone (socialistic).  Just like the recent threat from terrorist is no longer to kill so much as it is to make our economy hemorrhage and collapse,  so it is with this admin.  to cause so much financial fear that all the sheeple will run scared to big daddy government to save them.....therefore becoming enslaved and completely happy because they don't have to think anymore, do anymore then what they are told to do.

comfort8

Answer by comfort8 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Not surprising to me... I say, keep it up dummies! You are digging your own grave... The people they claim to want to help.. B.S.
    They only care about helping themselves. It's only ok to have government involved as long as it benefits THEM...

All the jobless people they turn their backs on will NOT be voting for them in the future.

I knew it wouldn't be long until they showed their true colours, although they were always leaking through.

Hooray for another 4 years for Obama!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010