how often should a newborn make bowel movements

leahandlylli

Asked by leahandlylli at 1:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if they are breastfed it couold be after every feeding! but my daughter went once every couple days when she was a newborn! she eventually worked into an everyday bowel movement, and now she goes once a day at almost 6 months old :)
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 1:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Depends. Breastfed or formula fed it is different for every child. It was once a day for my children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• it is ok if the child passes one motion a day,but diff children have diff bowel habbits it is ok if he did not pass for two to three days but has no vomiting.and v imp that he is passing gases.u can help reliving constipation by putting a date named sukrey in water till it becoms soft. mash it .and give it to ur child it really helps.may allaha help the one who shared it with me.
    naira768

Answer by naira768 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• several times a day to once every few days. As long as they aren't acting constipated,they're good

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When mine were on formula(for medial reasons, I couldn't breastfeed)they would go a little whenever they ate for the first month or so. After that the set into regularly going once a day. My doctor said every one has different schedules, so going a little each time or once every other day was within the norm.  As long as they are going and not showing sins of constipation(painful tummy, hurts them to go, etc)

nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 1:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Thanks! I am giving her formula now and she seems to be going every other day. She hasn't gone since Monday and was really fussy all day yesterday. She did pee and burp when i fed her all day yesterday. So I'm not sure if she's constipated or what.
    leahandlylli

Comment by leahandlylli (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010