How do High Deductible Health Plans and HSA work? Do you like it?

Hello! Me and my husband have no health insurance for us...and I really want to get some kind of coverage just in case. I was thinking of getting a high deductible plan with a HSA account. We hardly ever go to the doctors I just want the coverage for the "just in cases "or "what ifs".

If I open a HSA account I can put money in there tax free and use it toward health costs..If we had to go to the doctor or get meds etc...

Does anyone else get coverage this way and are you happy with it? Is it easy yo use etc...?

Thank you

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Health

• Since you don't go to the doctor much, this might be the way for you to go. I have a HSA and I love it. My insurance plan covers all preventative visits 100%. My deductible is $5,000 for a family plan, but we rarely have to go to the doctor. I put money in my HSA for "just in case."
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have a high deductible insurance plan. Its fine for going to the doctor because you still have a co-pay but when it does get expensive is when you have to go to the hospital or get something done that is not routine.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• This will be new for me this year..... our new high deductable plan starts this Jan.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 3:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We have it at work, not my favorite but it is the only thing the employer offers. Be careful not to go "out of plan" or "out of coverage area" and sometimes it is cheaper to go to a clinic rather than the doctor or emergency room.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010