Too close to the tv

How do I get my 19 month old from sitting to close to the tv? I have tried putting himin the saurcer, since he dislikes his potty chair placing that in front of the tv table...he just stands in it now, I tell him move from the tv....???? I would put the tv on a higer desk or table if I had one.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 1:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If this is something you don't want him doing, you don't tell him to move - you tell him "we watch TV from sitting in our chairs" or whatever and then physically move him. If he cries or throws a fit, you simply turn the TV off.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I always tell my son that he is too close, and if he doesn't back up then I will turn it off.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Try turning it off each time he gets close to it. Not sure if it will work. Won't hurt to try
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Pick him up and put him in his room to play

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't want him so close ot the tv because it can make him more likely to be nearsighted.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Standing too close to the TV will NOT cause nearsightedness. It will cause Eye Fatigue....but not nearsightedness....that's a false old wives tale.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Dang the nurse at the peditricians office told me that....
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My info came from our peds. optometrist.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think that's an old wives tale. My mother in law kept telling me my kids sat too close. I just ignored her. It's really a phase. Soon they will want to sit on the couch.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Regardless of the reason, sitting too close to the tv is a bad habit. So if you don't want that habit developed, move him back. Unless, of course, you really think it's fine for a big kid with tired eyes to block the view of the television for everyone else present.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2010