Someone gets mad at you for being mad at them

Does anyone know someone who gets mad at you when you are mad at them? So instead of the other person apologizing or acknowledging what they did, they reverse it and act mad toward you. I don't get mad often, but if something does bother me, I will tell the other person: co-worker, husband, friend, etc., and get it off my chest. I may expect a conversation afterward or even an apology, but my cousin likes to get mad at me for getting mad at what I brought up that was bothering me. I don't know how to handle this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Oh, my DH is just like that. Drives me batty. Just leave it alone and they will get over it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my husband does this

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Its because they don't want it to seem like their fault, so they try to turn it around on you so you apologize for something you didn't do. Some people don't know how to handle things and never think anything is their fault, make sure you clarify that you are not attacking them or pointing fault at them, you are just letting them know that something bothered you.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My husband tried it but I picked his whole card . He is from a big family so he knows how to try and get his way.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 1:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hubby
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Karing4elmas: what does that mean, "I picked his whole card"?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It's a defensive behavior. Much easier to slip into anger than actually owning one's own choices and behaviors. It's pretty common.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Aliceinalgonac: So would you say it borders on the immature side?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm going through that right now with my MIL. She said something to my kids that I did not like and I told her so now she is mad at me! Can you believe that!?
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It's a poor coping mechanism, like alice said. It's pretty common. Is it a "mature" way to cope, meaning a well-developed, well-practiced way of coping? No. It's completely maladaptive.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010