Anyone told to use Melatonin for their child? Did it help / side effects?

My son ( 3 ) will take up to 1-2 hours to go to sleep no matter what type of activity he gets during the day but what concerns me is that his body seems to be in constant motion, whether it is an arm or a leg or constant tossing and turning., I was recommended by his Ped to try Melatonin. I tried it for 3 days and he already wakes 1 to 3 times a night but this made him go to sleep great and sleep for 3 great hours and then he wakes thinking its time to get up for the day.. like he finally got great sleep but I can't have him waking at 11pm thinking its morning either. Then its a 2 hours struggle to get him to go back to bed.. any one have this problem?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I give it to my oldest and I take it myself. There are really no side effects, it's a natural alternative. Just make sure you get a good quality product, because there can be side effects to some of the fillers they use for this stuff. You should also know that it takes weeks to build up natural alternatives in the system and actually see changes, so don't give up if you see no change over just a day or two. Devote yourself to trying it for a full month and keep a journal of how he sleeps, this will help you to see changes and to communicate with your doctor about any changes that take place as well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• How would I be able to tell which brand is good quality? I just happened to be at Target and picked up the only brand they had which was behind the counter at the Pharmacy... I am very much willing to try for as long as I need to and journal it. I wish the Doctor would have mentioned it would take a month to even take an effect.. well thank you at least for telling me that!~
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I had it when I started using it. It will take time for his body to adjust to it. I give it to my son 30 minutes before I want him in bed, and he sleeps until the crack of dawn now, which is MUCH better than when he was awake 3 times a night!

I suggest letting your son get as much sun as he can, since it does help with Melatonin production too. Make sure he's pretty active as much as possible throughout the day, and limit his intake of sugar, caffeine, etc.

Starting a "rest time" routine, like we did, might help too. 1 hour before bed, all tv's go off and toys put away. radio may be played, but only soft songs on low setting. bath time, then story time, then bedtime..

Good luck!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My son was told to take it for a while. No side effects, he just fell asleep faster
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010