my son is almost 2 and isn't speaking much, what can i do????

he says ball and dog and makes a few animal sounds , he understands everything and can point anything i ask out of a book, just won't repeat and use words, he makes high pitch sounds and points and if i don't respond he gets so frustrated he starts to  bang his head:(

ajcsmom911

Asked by ajcsmom911 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• talk to your ped and they can direct you to get some help or let you know if its a problem.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Is he not speaking or not speaking well? Either way, I wouldn't be too worried until he gets 3 and older. Some kids develop later than others so don't base your worries on what other kids are doing at his age.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Encourage him to use words. Don't guess what he wants and give it to him, this discourages language use. teach him to use language to make himself understood. Talk to him, make many of your games and playtime about words, repeat words more than once, ask him to repeat words to you, ask him to get specific toys by their word names - when he does, ask him "what is this? what is it's name?".
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• speech will come! My son will be 3 in April and is only now starting to say a few 3 word sentences here and there and they are hard to understand. Read to him, show him the pictures and label the pictures. Ask him simple questions about the pictures and give him time to answer. My son loves his milk. He often uses me as a tool and grabs my hand to walk into the kitchen with him because he knows I know what he wants. I have started asking him to use his words. I have him repeat "I.....want.....milk". When he says it he gets his milk. The more consistant I am the more he says it on his own. If you are concerned that there might be a problem, talk to the pediatrician about speech therapy. My son gets it twice a week at home for 30 minutes and it has helped a little bit.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Talk to you Ped. But, some kids can be delayed in some areas. Same as crawling, walking, using a spoon, etc.
    I would suggest reading. It can boost the vocabulary like you would NOT beleive. And, point out things and say the word. My son learned much by that :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 1:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My son was close to 4 before he could really talk clear. He will eventually. Trust me after he starts, you will wish he couldn't talk sometimes. Lol
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Bring it up with your pediatrician. And look into your state's early intervention program. It's free, and they serve children under 3 years of age, up to which point they'll usually come to you instead of making you go to them for an appointment. At the very least, they can evaluate your son and tell you whether he's fine or whether there is cause for concern, at which point they'll make all necessary arrangements for any therapy he may need. Your pediatrician is a useful tool as far as putting you in touch with the right people at the right agencies.

Can't hurt, might help. If you wait until he's 3, he might not need help, but if he does, you'll have to jump through more hoops to get it. Been there.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would get his hearing checked. my little cousin was around 2 or 3 and we could no understand why we could not understand him that much when he talked. someone advised we get his hearing checked. found out he was 70 percent deaf. and we could never tell because he always resonding to us as normal.
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 2:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If you have any concerns I would contact the early intervention program for your area and set up a free developmental evaluation. Please don't wait until your child is 3 - it makes it so much harder if there is a delay!

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• if he understands things and can point them out then there isn't really a problem.. Boys talk later on average, because they are too busy trying to figure out how to do physical things. Speech will come eventually! And when it does, you will most likely want them to stop! My son barely said more than 10 words a few months before his 2nd birthday.. but now says nearly 1000 words and speaks in full sentences on occasion.. yes people have a hard time understanding him at times.. but he says everything I say to him and understands everything I say.. my son is now 28 months.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 4:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010