What should I do?(About expired food)

Two days ago I went to the market down the street from me to pick up some items to get us through the week until I go big food shopping. I wasnt feeling well and walking gives me contractions so I really wanted to get in and out. I picked up a few quick meals and drink, etc and went home. Well that same night my son saw I had bought his favorite Perdue Chicken patties so he asked for one. I went to make it and it looked a bit frostbitten and black. So I sniffed it and there was a weird smell. I looked at the expirations date and it expired in August of this year. How the hell is it still on the shelf to purchase in December? I usually look at dates before I leave the store but like I said I wasnt feeling well and was having contractions. So my question is what should I do. I have the receipt and I put the patties back in the freezer with a big DO NOT TOUCH EXPIRED FOOD on the front and back of the package. I just dont want to just take it back and this be ignored. Someone else could have picked it up and easily not pay much attention to it and feed it to their family. I just really cant believe they have something that old on the shelves.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Health

• Call the health department.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would go back, ASK to ONLY see a manager, explain the situation and get your refund OR a fresh set of patties. I found PLASTIC in my taco from TB yesterday and I debated. I took it back, explained the situation and they asked if I wanted something else. I informed them I simply wanted to 'return it to you.'

Needless to say, DH and I wil not be back. I got plastic and he got sick from his food.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 1:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Calling the Health Dept is a good tip! They need to be aware that there is expired food there and could be more. If it was neglect on a(n) associated part, they need to be booted.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 1:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Talk to the manager at the store and tell them that if your family had eaten this and been sick that you would have been suing their asses! I bet they will pay more attention to the expiration dates.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Call the store and the health department.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I used to live in a smaller town & there were only 2 grocery stores. One of them was always having expired crap on the shelf. I took back two things of juice once that I didnt notice the date on till I got home. They gave me new ones. I doubt they will have a problem replacing it for you. I actually became really diligent about looking at the dates on stuff in that particular store & multiple times brought it to managements attention when I found something on the shelf that was expired. I do have to add though, that the food you describe has to have some other issue to it besides just being expired. Something that expired a few months back that is kept properly frozen is NOT going to be all black & nasty & smelly like that.
    Anonymous

• Just take it to the customer service desk. They will absolutely take it back.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I dont want to take it back and have something like this happen again. I want to be sure the problem is fixed.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When it comes to shopping for meat, you've taught me a valuable lesson... Take a minute to look and inspect raw or frozen foods no matter how much I feel like rushing,
    PEPPERSHAKER

Answer by PEPPERSHAKER at 2:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My local Kroger is known for this. I find expired stuff all the time. I would take it back... Talk to the manager and tell them you will call the health department..... It could have been a simple error or it might be a gross problem either way by telling them your calling the health dept they act on your complaint and fix the issues.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010