How to fix child constipation

How do you fix your child's constipation issues? Mine is 4 and I feel so horrible for her.

Thank you

JessicaB86

Asked by JessicaB86 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Warmed apple juice is what my kids peds doc said. She said it's the best. The ER doc said to give my 8 yr old Metamucil, but, your kiddo is younger, I'd go with the warmed up apple juice. Also, years ago when my oldest was about 5-6, he was so constipated they almost put him in the hospital. The docs gave him, crap, that powder that gets mixed with water. I can't think of what it's called. Miralax. That's it. It works, I mean WORKS. And they don't taste it. You don't use much at all either.
    But, try the juice first.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Fruits and juices will help regulate her. Apple juice is well noted for loosening bowel movements. It sounds like she needs more fiber in her diet. Allow moderate dairy intake and concentrate on getting her to eat fruits and veggies.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Also, if she has lots of dairy, try to cut back on it. That could contribute to it. Up her fiber also. If she doesn't get cleaned out soon, she will end up compacted, and that is bad with a capital B.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Have you tried monitoring her fiber intake? starting at making sure she gets at least 7grams a day, then up to 10 then see how she is doing? Miralax helped my son for many months until I spoke with a dietician about monitoring fiber and he's been great ever since. And he had this issue so bad since birth -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Thank you both for your answers. I have a hard time trying to get my daughter to drink apple juice. I'll see if she'll drink it warm. I'm also trying to get her to eat more fruits and veggies. This little girl of mine has a mind of her own. I have some of the fiber supplements like benefiber in my home. I'm wondering if I can give her a little bit of that every other day or so.
    JessicaB86

Comment by JessicaB86 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• She loves dairy products. I will cut back on how much of the dairy she has a day. I'm also a little nervous about giving her miralax. If I give her a little bit, do you think it will hurt her in any way?
    JessicaB86

Comment by JessicaB86 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have the same problem with my son. He gets terrible constipation and he loves all the food that give him constipation like grilled cheese , mac and cheese etc.. he loves cheese!! I know it's hard getting some of those fruits in kids so keep trying apple juice I also use double fiber bread for sandwhiches. I give my son miralax per my pediatrician she says you can use everyday to regulate it is natural not a medicine so don't worry and it seems to work great for him..hope that helps.
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My daughter has lots of colon problems. she is five years old. The doctor has her on miralox and can be added to any beverdage and has no taste to it. Fiber will help but more fiber can have the oppostite affect and make more constipation. Also she is on the latotasoe milk and not to much dairy products help. Can even use a stool when she goes and that helps as well. If in doubt still see a doctor.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Add Benefiber to her drinks & food. It's odorless, tasteless & clear.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• juices, prune and apple... lots of fiber, cut out the dairy all together for a day or two to see if it helps... if it does keep her off it.
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010