Question about the length of the Luteal Phase...

Ok I know typically it's the Follicular Phase that changes and the Luteal Phase stays the same.

My question is does it STILL stay the same after the birth of a child and lactational amenorrhea (absence of mentrual cycle due to breastfeeding)? I had lactational amenorrhea for 16 months, ovulated, had an 8 day luteal phase (which is how my first PP cycle with my DD was too and it slowly got longer), and then had my period. We are TTC and this is our first month.

So since after my hormones leveled out last time after my lactational amenorrhea ended and my Luteal Phase was 15 days should I expect it to be 15 days this time as well?

OR can it change after the birth of a baby and lactational amenorrhea?

I'm not sure what my Luteal Phase was before I had my daughter because I was not charting then.

The reason I ask is because I wondering when I should test. Should I just wait until day 18 pass ovulation since that's past normal Luteal Phase times and if I haven't started test then or should I test on day 15 if AF doesn't show up?

**If any of this doesn't make sense just ask and I'll try to explain better. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Day 18 after ovulation. It's the safe interval no matter what.

I *knew* I was pregnant at day 15 but refused to test till day 18 because at 18 a negative really is a negative.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Thanks!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• The luteal phase can change after a birth but it will still be consistant from month to month.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ya I knew it would be consistant from month to month but wasn't sure if it changed after birth or not. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It can change. Mine averaged 12 days before pregnancy, and since I've had a luteal phase worth mentioning after my daughter was born, it's been 10 days. My follicular phase is also more regular now. And I get PMS symptoms, which never happened pre-pregnancy.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Dragon...

Have you had your progestrone levels checked? I know when my Luteal Phase was short my progestrone ended up being low from high prolactin levels. I took Vitex to help it get longer. This was all after my DD was born.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, I haven't. It doesn't matter, though. I'm not trying to get pregnant, not interested in more kids, I just chart because I'm breastfeeding and don't want to risk the pill but still want to know when my period's going to start, lol. Thanks for the tip, though. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010