For those who converted away from Christianity...

I was reading the answers on the "Why did you Convert" and many of them said things like "I wasn't getting answers to my questions" or something similar...

So, I was wondering what questions did you have that you weren't finding answers too? And did you find answers or simply lack of a need for these questions on your current path?

For me, it wasn't so much as a lack of answers on a Christian path, as much as it was simply a lack of connection & belief which lead me away... I just found a path which I felt more at home on...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just couldn't buy any of it... I simply didn't believe in a bearded man in the sky, I didn't believe in the whole immaculate conception, I didn't believe Jesus was the son of said bearded man in the sky, I didn't believe he could walk on water or turn water into wine, any of it... Plus, the corruption of the Church as an organization really turned me off, along with the whole judgemental behavior towards everybody who didn't believe the exact same thing.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I grew up in the Christian religion but I no longer consider myself a Christian. It was not so much that there were not answers to my questions as I just did not believe in the positions of the church. I still consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ in that I follow his teachings and believe in his message, I just do not agree with how the church interprets his teachings or his message and I do not believe in the teachings of the church or most of the rest of the Bible.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• As an athiest for most of my 75 years it is perhaps easier for me to see the fallacy in the arguments defending christianity or any organized religion from wicca to druid. All religion is mythological superstition which serves those persons who cannot or willnot accept the reality of life. We live in a marvelous universe created not by invisible supernatural beings flying around over our heads but rather by the works of physical law and our intellect is the ultimate realization of evolution. Mores the pity that we allow that intellect to be mirred down in the myths and the irrelivance of religious superstition.
    Justmom71

Answer by Justmom71 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I never really converted. I just never believed and could never make myself believe in the whole Jesus thing, some things just don't make sense in my mind. The reason I didn't become an atheist is because I wanted to believe in something and I did have beliefs so I researched and found the path that fit my beliefs and was right for me.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I grew up Christian, but my family didn't really do church every Sunday... As as adult I've found that its not necessarily God that I take issue with, its organized religion and all of their crazy followers. All those that judge and hate in the name of religion is what is wrong with this world, IMO. The worst of it is that those that hate and judge don't think they are, they think they are following the "word" and that is a bunch of BS....and that goes for all religions, not just Christianity. My relationship with God, if I even have one, still working that out, is between me and God, period. Ever hear George Carlin's take on religion? Its fabulous. He absolutely NAILS it for me.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• As a young child, I witnessed a lot of hypocrisy in the church. (Baptist and Catholic). I also couldn't believe that lying, cheating, stealing, even murder was all washed away if you said "I'm sorry." Bam, back into heaven again. I asked two different leaders in the church about this, and was given some line. It just didn't make sense to me. When I was 13, I flat out refused to go to church anymore. In high school, I read the bible cover to cover (as literature, it wasn't treated as religious). A LOT of what we talked about in class was how the different religions put their own spin on almost every part of the bible, every church believes they are "right", and more blood has been shed over this issue than any other conflict in ideals. After that class, I truly couldn't stomach anything to do with Christianity. I respect the opinions/beliefs of others, they are their own, but I don't believe.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• For me it was not the lack of answers, it was more that I just eventually realized that what I thought I believed did not really make any sense to me anymore. I realized that there was more than just the one church out there, and that I would probably be happier someplace else.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My father was a Baptist preacher my whole life, and I always cringed when he said he couldn't wait to get to Heaven. Really? He couldn't wait to die? I myself don't want to leave the earth any time soon. I just can't believe that a virgin honestly gave birth. I think it must've been the first use of the date rape drug or equivalent. I have a theory that Jesus was the world's first magician and was a town celebrity because of it and was truly a good man. The tall tales went down through time and ended up in the Bible. The stories kept getting bigger and bigger. Bottom line: NO ONE knows what happens when you die, so don't pretend you do and don't sit around and worry about it. I felt like religion was a comfort there to sugar coat death. I really don't want to dwell on death every Sunday. I'd rather spend time with my family.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I had many questions as a child and teenager--probably to many to name here, but I'll try to give a few examples. I didn't like the answers people gave when questioning if an all-knowing, all-powerful God exists, how can he also be all-good. I know people have answers they give for this, but it never seemed like real answers to me. It seemed more likely that there was no God or God is not anthropomorphic. I also wondered why Christians had to proselytize instead of being tolerant and accepting of differences. As a teenager, I got into Wicca and found a balance there that made sense for a while, but I still didn't fully believe. I have been studying Buddhism, and I am generally more ok with not knowing the answers than I did before. I think I read that Buddhism is about resolving the fear motivating these questions rather than trying to answer them--if that makes sense. I still value many things from
    cont'd
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Christianity, Wicca, and other religions I've studied, but I don't think I will ever believe in a creator god even if I think there are valid things to take away from the practice or study of them. I'm ok with some mystery though--probably more so now than I was back then.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010