i need help

i have a three year old that is a little smarter then most 3 year olds but when its time to sit down and learn she won't do it how can i get her to sit and learn.

littlemama124

Asked by littlemama124 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've got that same problem. try making it into a game or something. Make like a memory game out of letters choose a certain amount say a - f or something... and then have her flip over the pieces of paper, and you say the letter, say... Oh, you got a letter B. Can you find the other one? and keep going like that. it may help her learn once she has those letters down, move on to the others. and keep going. Sing the alphabet song to her.
    AS for numbers. make up a counting game... like have her help you unload the groceries from the bags as you bring them in, as she hands them to you, count. "One box of mac and cheese, two boxes of mac and cheese" etc.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 9:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I was told by my son's doctor that my 3 year old is speaking on an 11 year old level and is academically on a 6 year old level and I have NEVER made him sit down with me to learn. To me it's just something we do during our everyday routine. I don't really know how to explain it, but he seems to learn better when I am not trying to force it on him. Most of the time he doesn't even realize he's learning, he just thinks he's having fun. Just find things that you do with her on a regular basis and turn it into a learning experience. If you have any questions or don't really understand what I'm trying to say you can pm me and I'll try to explain better!!
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 2:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• There are some great learning games out there, you might have better luck making a game out of it instead of trying to force her to learn. She is only 3 after all.
    ithi

Answer by ithi at 10:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My boy is the same way and we are going to put him into kindergarten when he turns 4. The deal I made with him is that if he sits and does "smart kid" things such as writing his numbers and letters then we will do "fun stuff" in the evening. Fun stuff can stil be learning like Uno or Dominoes. He doesnt object and doesnt realize he is still learning.
    JenLevi

Answer by JenLevi at 2:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• What are you you & your daughter working on currently? My son likes just a regular deck of cards so we are working on the "match" game. We either match up the numbers or the colors. He's also learning to memorize by guessing which ones to flip over. It's so cute because he gets so excited when it gets the two matches.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 8:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Make it into a game. That is what I do with our 3 year old. He too is very smart and is rambunctious, so sitting still is just not an option...Make up silly songs for counting and even if you are at the park or driving around town sing a song or play simon says. Another thing that has helped is having my son on the computer. He loves the computer and wants to learn more everyday on how to use it. There are awesome games for preschoolers that you can sit and play with him on it. Also have hime bake and when you bake make him count all the ingredients...Like 1 2 eggs and so forth...She'll get it and just remember to have patience and not push the topics it just makes them more stubborn and you more frustrated...Good Luck!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2008