What is your biggest mistake, or most horrible moment as a mom?

I feel terrible about something I did recently. It was an absent-minded mistake, but I'm horrified.

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 2:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• spanking

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• yeah punishing children sucks, but they'll look back and know why. sometimes i wish my mother punished me more. other horrible moments, watching ur child go through something awful like being hospitalized, or a surgery or something. very scary. also accidentally putting them in a horrible situation.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• making people realize I don't have to do it all and that my sons dad is also perfectly capable of answering a phone call from the school or picking them up from wherever or whipping up a meal.

My point: the constant guilt society gives us if we aren't the sole caregivers for our kids, like we're being derelict of duty if we don't or let Dad handle it for awhile. :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have had plenty actually that I feel guilty for. One in particular was when my son was 14 hour a day colic and I had a couple glasses of wine and fell asleep on his bedroom floor and it had been a few days since I slept and I fell asleep hard and my son was crying and my husband had even a hard time waking me up. I feel like "what if something horrible had happened?" that is one I learned from of course but haven't let go of yet.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• this June my son took a spill on his bike and had road rash. He was even wearing a helmet so I felt pretty awesome about it. He complained some and I gave him Motrin and put cream on the rash and got better. July 4th Holiday we went to a lake and I was annoyed/frusterated by his swim floaters not fitting right. We let him jump off a dock and we swung him around and tossed him into the water. By lunch the swelling was so apparent his floaty popped off and he was not eating his lunch. Went to the ER in soaking wet beachwear to learn he had a compression fracture 2 weeks old. I cried all night til I fell asleep in a puddle of my own vomit.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Actually, it happened to me today. My LO is 6 months old and is teething horribly and we both aren't getting any sleep. We after we woke up this morning I put him on the floor with his toys and layed on the couch and watched tv. I acidentally fell asleep and awoke to my son on his back choking.He somehow got a paper towel and chewed a piece off. My windows were open and I think the wind blew it off the table right next to him. I WAS MORTIFIED!! He cried, I cried. I felt like the biggest POS mother. Thank God I was able to get it out.
    LogansMamma0511

Answer by LogansMamma0511 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I brought my kids to the beach and when it was time to go I loaded them in the car. When I got home and went to take the baby out of his carrier he wasn't even buckled in! I had taken him out and just laid him in there when he fell asleep. I felt so horrible! Thankfully it was only a mile drive and nothing happened. There is also a time I yelled at my 2 year old (we don't ever yell in our house) and he looked at me with a terrified look on his face. Ugh that face haunts me. But we all do our best and that is always gonna mean mistakes. Nobody's perfect. Whatever it is, the fact that it's bothering you so much makes me sure that you learned from it and it isn't gonna happen again. Don't beat yourself up.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I took the carseat out of the car for something. ANways, put it back and thougth heck I will buckle it later. I forgot and did not realize it until I slammed on my breaks and my son and his carseat flew into the back of my seat. I still feel bad! :(
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I've forgotten to buckle my child once before. It was a short distance, but it was still scary. :(
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 9:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• some of these are hilarious!
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010