TV in the bedroom?

I had someone bring this up in one of me groups. It is a smaller group, so I was wondering how you all felt on this. How will respond?

I don't think they belong in the bedroom(my room or the kids rooms). IMO, bedrooms are for sleep, TVs interfere with that. My oldest is only 4 so hopefully we won't get the TV in room question for a while. When we do, we will say something like when we do, we will talk about you getting one too.

nova.mommy

Asked by nova.mommy at 2:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• never ever in our home. trust me there's days we talk/joke about how we wanna break our own rule. But their bedoom is for sleep and play room is for playing, games, toys, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree but I still have TV's in the kids rooms. Why? Because with a husband and 3 boys who all watch tv & play video games, extra tv's are necessary. My husband monopolizes the big TV , so nobody would ever really gets a fair chance at it.

I still uphold the no TV rule for the master bedroom. I feel it's the only place where hubby and I can be alone without distractions.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree. Tv interferes with sleep. I don't like tv in the bedroom.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I like your idea. When I was a kid I always wanted a TV in my room, but my parents wouldn't allow it even though they had one in theirs. When I was 13 they let me save my Christmas money and buy my own now. As an adult, we have a TV in our room, and actually it helps me to sleep because it distracts me from all the racing thoughts I get when I lay quietly. There is one in our son's room, but only because there nowhere else to put it, and we only use it in the mornings or during playtime or whatever. When he's older, he can buy his own like I did.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I will never have a tv in my bedroom, but I do have one in my son's room. We only have one other one, in the living room, and sometimes I really want to watch something and NOT hear "Yo Gabba Gabba! Wanna watch Yo Gabba Gabba!!!" over and over and over again, heh. He doesn't watch it a whole lot (since he can't turn it on himself), but sometimes we'll watch a movie on there together while daddy is watching college football or something...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm in my room right now watching TV. I live in my room, not just sleep here. It's my office, my retreat, my place to relax and a place for sleep too... My kids room isn't just for sleep either, it's a place for play, for them to relax & get away from everything... They have toys in there and they are getting a tv too... I spend 90% of the time I'm home in my bedroom, I'm simply more comfortable here, who why shouldn't I have a TV in here too?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Never had one in my room as a kid (stick to that with my own kids) when my dad died then I started with the tv.at night and 16 years later amdependend on the tv to sleep
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• DD wont be allowed to have a tv in her room until she is older. if ever...
    We will have a tv in our living room & our bedroom. if the kids want to watch tv they can have the choice of going into my room to watch.
    I am hoping we get a home with 2 living rooms. so the parents kinda have their hangout & the kids have theirs.
    I grew up with a tv in my room & my parents never seen me (unless i was hungry).. I want different for my family. Id rather my family not orient their life around Tv.. When its under my control the tv in our house is only on about 2hrs a day... There is much more to life than watching mindless tv all day.
    I also dont want to worry about my kids up all night watching who knows what. Yes there are passwords. but there are ways around it (Girls Gone Wild infomercials are NOT rated!)... kids are usually as smart, if not smarter than their parents when it comes to this stuff.. lol..
    Family oriented. not tv...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• (right now we are living at my moms. thats why tv is not always in my control.. )
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We don't have any TV's in any of our bedrooms. We had one in ours for a while but I hated it, so it's gone.
    JuliaW

Answer by JuliaW at 3:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010