Should you avoid feeding your baby white rice cereal?

Alan Greene, a pediatrician at Stanford University's Lucile Packard Children Hospital, is encouraging parents to abandon white rice cereal in favor of more nutritious brown rice cereals or even a homemade brown rice mash or vegetable purée. "They won't mind," says Greene, who launched a "WhiteOut" campaign last week. "They'll thank you for it."

He is concerned that babies are getting hooked on the taste of highly processed white rice and flour, which could set them up for a lifetime of bad habits, such as a weakness for cakes and cookies.

Link to full article: http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/parenting-family/babies/2010-12-01-babyfood01_st_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uh, yea... how about just skipping rice cereal altogether? I agree that our kids first food shouldn't be white processed grains, but brown rice cereal really isn't any better.

Start with FRESH fruits or veggies... grains should wait till last anyway, they're the hardest for infants to digest.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with just skipping the infant cereals. They are overprocessed junk.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I find that hard to believe that eating white rice sets them up for a lifetime of bad eating habits. That statement seems a little extreme. I definitly wouldnt be against brown rice, but the statement he made is extreme.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i heard rice cereal is the easiest to digest for babies-which is why the reccomend u start it first.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2010