Why do you celebrate "Christmas" if you do not believe in Christ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christmas was originally pagan. We celebrate a secular Christmas in our house, but some of my extended family is still Christian. There are reasons Christmas is near the winter solstice; many pagans already had festivities at that time, such as Saturnalia. New religions often pull ideas from older religions. I believe there were also Isis celebrations around Dec. 25th if I'm not mistaken. People can just celebrate it as a day to spend with their families, maybe doing other traditions like decorating trees, Santa, etc. even if they're not Christian. I know just as many people who celebrate with a secular Christmas as I do people who celebrate it as a religious holiday.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Honestly? Christmas is about Santa, being with family, and enjoying the holiday cheer to us. I know a lot of people that don't "believe" and have wonderful holidays.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oh yeah..i also go to the Mardi Gras parade here. I am not Catholic.

I wear green on St. Patrick's day too.

Look all the vote downs from people that don't know the history of holidays they celebrate. Lovely.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I can't see how celebrating a holiday with your family could be offensive to anyone, Anon. How does that degrade the religion? Does that mean that the Christians that teach their kids about santa claus are degrading the religion? He doesn't have anything to do with the "real meaning," nor does a Christmas tree, lights, giving gifts, carolers, etc. I'm not trying to be saucy, but really, I can't understand how anyone could take issue, especially Christians who are taught not to judge.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Wow, I got down voted for saying we celebrate because it's fun and that we don't focus on just the presents but on traditions passed down through generations. What's offensive about that? Geesh, some people are way to sensitive.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Nobody stole a Christian holiday & made it into something its not. Christmas has been celebrated in a secular way for a loooong time. Lots of Christian people also do the Santa thing so are they degrading their own religion by including a secular figure in their celebration? No. People are entitled to celebrate any day of the year in any manner they choose. My husband is Mexican & he isnt offended because a bunch of white folks party it up on Cinco de Mayo! I'm Irish & I dont consider St. Patrick's day a day just to drink! I celebrate it by having corned beef & cabbage. If some other non Irish jokers want to drink themselves silly in the name of my ancestors holiday then, let them. Not my concern.
    Anonymous

• Because the Christ based holy day isn't the only holiday celebrated, and no one is obligated to acknowledge him merely to celebrate as they please. I'm Christian, btw, and this kind of thinking really bothers me, to think that we have some sort of claim on a holiday is just arrogant....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• That was a very eloquent way to put it, Scuba!

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with Scuba. We spend time with family, make crafts and decorate together and the children learn about giving to others. It isn't about religion at all in our immediate or extended family.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 2:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We don't follow the true meaning behind any holiday. Are you Irish? Do you still celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010