how do i get my 5 yr old boy to stop wetting the bed every night i cut off liquids at 730 he goes to bed at 830

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is nothing you can do. Believe me, I tried. We tried the alarm (this actually helped a little, I think if we stuck with it, it might have), pills (they made him dehydrated during the day), waking him up (this did nothing, if we got there in time we took him, if not he peed. It was just us not getting sleep). Just have him wear pull ups and use a rubber sheet. Eventually he will outgrow it. Don't make him feel bad about it, it's tough on the kids. My son was 14 when he finally outgrew it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My pediatrician told me that it can take a really long time for kids to stay dry at night. Its not on purpose and the more upset you get about it the bigger the problem is going to be. Personally, I would get him overnight pull ups, and use them until he starts waking up dry for while.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• He has to grow out of it. He's not doing it on purpose

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• desperate measure = wake him up midway thru his sleep (so like 2am perhaps) for a quick tinkle.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My parents had to wake me up until that became habit for me to do.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• also consider moving dinner time around. My son gets home from school at 2:45. We do dinner/big meal about 4:45 and then snack/light drink around 7:45 right before bed.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Use pull ups, and then get him to go pee twice before bed, and no drinks after 6. Then get him to pee at 7, and then again at 8:30. I did that with both my kids(the no drinks, pee twice before bed) and the were dry within 2 days, and at age 2.5 and 3. I dont realy agree with waking them up, as then they will always be waking up, lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• You cant. His body hasnt matured to the point where it will signal to itself that it has to use the restroom at night. He has to outgrow it. One thing we did in our house was wake my son up before we went to bed at night and had him use the bathroom. That led to more dry nights but once his body matures he will stop on his own... I have tried all the products and t hey dont work. Hugs and hang in there
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• From experience with my 4 year old, I've learned that 'wanting to pee won't wake them up, so I have been very careful to avoid any cold drafts in the room, because we know that they won't keep the covers up all night. I never let him go to bed without peeing first. If I get up during the night I peek into his room and cover him and my husband does the same if he gets up. I have woken him up to take him to the bathroom he always goes even if he says he doesn't need to...hope this helps
    AleUro

Answer by AleUro at 3:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010